Shrimp Tacos (Fajitas?)

Description

I wasn’t sure what to call this post: tacos or fajitas. So, I googled and asked the great, vast Internet, “what is the difference between a taco and a fajita?” And I am sorry to say, after about 15 minutes of reading, I still don’t know. Some say that a taco has ground meat. But what about fish tacos? Are they not really tacos? Some say it depends on the way it is rolled, or whether it has a crispy shell, or whether or not the vegetables are cooked or raw. If anyone would like to weigh in on this in the comments, please feel free, because I am still confused.

So, anyway I am calling this shrimp tacos, but I think they maybe are more fajitas, oh my gosh…I just don’t know. They are shrimp and veggies grilled in a grill pan and eaten in a warm soft taco, call it what you want.

Shrimp Tacos (but maybe fajitas)
Serves 4

1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 onion sliced
1 tablespoon chile powder
Juice from one lime
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
4 tortillas
sour cream (for garnish)
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Heat grill pan over medium high heat and saute until grill marks appear and pepper is crisp tender, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove and do the same with sliced onions, and remove to bowl. Drizzle shrimp with olive oil and toss with chile powder, salt and pepper and garlic. Saute shrimp until pink about 2 minutes per side. Place shrimp in bowl with vegetables and toss with lime juice.

Warm tortillas following instructions on package, divide shrimp and vegetables among the tortillas, top with fresh cilantro and sour cream.

This was pretty good and very easy to put together from things I had in the fridge and in the freezer. One thing I have to mention is that if you are using a grill pan, a lot of the minced garlic falls down into the ridges and even though you are turning the shrimp, the garlic just stays down in the ridges and gets too brown. So, if you are using a grill pan, you might want to just toss the garlic into the bowl right at the end and let the residual heat of the shrimp sort of cook it a little. Also, my grill pan is pretty small, so I had to do it in phases, more like a stir fry.

Comments

I would side with fajitas because I’ve been served fajitas with the protein(be it meat, chicken or seeafood) seared on a cst-iron pan.

You’re cooking method is the closest to this…lovely shrimp fajitas!

I use this technique with leftover turkey and chicken. To solve the question of what they are, my kids dubbed them “turkos”! They make a super fast and nutritious lunch or light dinner!

Great question.
    I think those are fajitas. To me, Tacos are in corn shells, be in soft or hard, and fajitas are in flour. How’s that for a difference?

There’s nothing shrimpy about these tacos! I love fish tacos more then the original meat type. I usually use tilapia but shrimp sounds better!

Well, to me, it’s how you cook them. But where I stayed in Mexico, fajitas didn’t exist and tacos usually filled with shredded meet (and were street food), so I have no idea. Maybe just for authenticity, call them tacos? lol.

Also, the Silver Jalapeño on Signal Mountain Road (it’s that silver trailer next to that little plant-and-produce shop) makes THE BEST fish tacos I have EVER had! You should try them sometime!

Whether they are tacos or fajitas they look and sound really tasty! I recently tried shrimp tacos/fajitas and really enjoyed them.

7. Patty in Arizona says

I know this is an old post, but I just had to chime in with my 2 cents :-) The word “fajita” refers to the original cut of meat (skirt steak) used to make fajitas. Technically speaking, there is no such thing as chicken fajitas, etc., only the beef type made from the skirt steak. However, as the language and tex-mex cuisine has evolved, the word fajita is now commonly used to refer to grilled meat served on a tortilla (either flour or corn), with the most common other ingredients being grilled onions and peppers. Tacos on the other hand are served in corn tortilla shells (the hard ones). I think the most accurate term for your fabulous shrimp dish is shrimp burritos – a burrito is a flour tortilla folded or wrapped over a filling …. the anal texas gal in me just had to write all this, but …

In the end it doesn’t matter what to call these, except delicious!!!