CSA for June 16th!

Description

Just look at these gorgeous vegetables for this week. They include: swiss chard, 2 kinds of basil, some sweet vidalia-like onions, cauliflower, heirloom tomatoes, and the cutest baby zucchini ever! I’ve read that the baby zucchini is really sweet, so I’m thinking I’ll barely cook it. Any ideas on how to use it?

Comments

Zucchini: Sliced and lightly sauteed in a bit of butter and pepper, and a touch of salt if you like it. It comes out tender-crisp and fabulous!

Another beautiful veggie shipment! Photo art at Pam’s place!

I see both yellow and green zucchini in the picture you posted and since we eat first with our eyes, I would suggest using both varieties for a veggie dish.

Add a bit of oil of your choice to a skillet. Add one yellow and green zucchini, medium sliced. Add half a large red pepper, sliced in medium strips. Add one cup of coarsely sliced mushrooms, just halved if using small mushrooms. Add half a medium onion, cut in half and then diagonally. Add a small clove of minced garlic, 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley, salt and pepper to taste.

Saute at medium to medium high heat just until veggies are well warmed through. Do not overcook as they will get mushy and watery in a hurry.

You will find if you use small baby zucchini that they have a sweet nutty flavor and they are much crisper than large zucchini.

Zucchini Rings

The area I live in has a shorter growing season so I am not necessarily assured of being able to grow cucumbers for pickling every year. This recipe is every bit as tasty as bread and butter pickles made with cucumbers, and as crisp too.

18 cups sliced zucchini
    1/2 cup coarse pickling salt
    4 medium onions
    1 green pepper
    2 red peppers
    3 cups good quality vinegar
    3 cups granulated sugar
    1 1/2 Tbsp mustard seed
    1 tsp celery seed
    1 tsp turmeric

I use zucchini that are just a bit bigger than the baby variety. I also use a mandolin to slice the zucchini and onion evenly.

The night before, slice washed, unpeeled zucchini around 1/3 inch thick. Put in an enamel roaster or some other non corrosive dish. Sprinkle with the pickling salt, cover adequately with icecubes. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

The next morning, drain the zucchini well.

Slice the onions and finely dice the peppers.

In a large pan that is safe for using on a cook top (I use my large rectangular enamelled turkey roaster), combine the vinegar, sugar and spices and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Add the sliced onions and diced peppers and boil for another minute. Add the drained zucchini and cook at high heat just until they are warmed through completely and change color.

Put in hot sterilized jars leaving around 1/2 inch head space. Make sure that you do not pack the jars too tightly with the veggies, you need enough liquid in each jar to do its job of pickling.

Seal. Store in a dark place. Use in 3 weeks.

Sorry, one small typo in the recipe I just posted above. If making the zucchini ring pickles, they should be sliced 1/8 inch thick, not 1/3 inch thick.

There is a wonderful zucchini and avocado salad that I enjoy during the summertime. Basically you quickly saute baby zucchini cut in small dice until crisp tender. (I’ve even grilled halved baby zucchini and then diced it later.)Quickly cool it in the fridge. When cool, combine it with cubed avocado, a little lemon juice, green onions, and your favorite vinaigrette dressing. Sometimes I’ll throw in some chopped red pepper if I have some handy. Adjust to taste with a quick grind of salt or pepper if needed.

OMG! I love your blog….But alas, I can never return. I’ve gained 15 pounds in the few moments thta I’ve been here….

7. Pam says

Marjie – I like the idea of lightly sauteing it.

Redforever – thanks for the great ideas! I would have never thought of combining with red bell pepper, mushrooms, and onions! And the pickles sound great!

Noble – thanks! The Cherokee purple are amazing!

Paula – Zucchini and avocado – what a great idea!

Jenn – I know, isn’t it pretty!

Sandi – I just bought some fresh mozarella at the store…great minds think alike!

If you have some zucchini that are larger and don’t lend themselves as well to stir fries or salads, use them for baking. You might try this recipe, it will make muffins or loaves.

Zucchini and Carrot Muffins

3 cups flour (see note below)
    3 tsp cinnamon
    3/4 tsp cloves
    3/4 tsp allspice
    2 tsp baking powder
    2 tsp baking soda
    3 large eggs (see note below)
    1 cup honey
    1/3 cup vegetable oil
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 cups grated zucchini, well drained
    2 cups grated peeled carrot (see note below)
    1/2 cup orange juice
    3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Stir together the flour and spices, baking powder and baking soda. Separately blend the eggs in a blender with the honey, oil and vanilla.

Combine the two mixtures and mix well. Then add the zucchini, carrots, orange juice and walnuts. Stir just until ingredients are evenly distributed. Spoon into greased muffin tins until nearly full.

Bat at 370F for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inverted in the center of the muffin comes out clean. Invert and cool on a rack. These freeze very well.

Makes 16 to 18 large sized muffins or 24 regular sized muffins.

If you wish to bake this as a loaf, put in greased loaf pans and bake at 325F until done. Depending on the size of the loaf pan, they will take anywhere from 30 to 50 minutes to bake.

Note: You can use a combination of flours. I use 1 1/2 cups regular flour and 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour.

Note: I always use extra large eggs now. I have noticed large eggs now seem the size of what medium sized eggs used to be and if you just use large, the recipe is dry or tough, just not the same consistency.

Note: You can substitute grated apples or pears for the carrots or use a combination of 3 or 4 fruits. All work well.

9. Pam says

bbitce – I love looking at your clothes!

redforever – the zucchini muffins sound great! My daughter hates zucchini, so I’m going to have to find creative ways to use them!