Insalata Caprese

Insalata Caprese

Insalata Caprese. Those two words make me sigh in a wonderful, contented manner. I don’t even know what they mean, though a quick trip around the net, tells me know that they mean, salad in the style of Capri. Oh, Capri, I’ve never been, but I obviously love you.

This salad should be in everyone’s summer repertoire. I don’t measure anything, I just use however many tomatoes it takes to create a nice layer in my pretty tart dish. Then I slice some fresh mozzarella and insert it between the tomatoes and wedge in some basil leaves. I always hem and haw over the order…tomato, basil, mozzarella, or tomato, mozzarella, basil. I know it’s silly, but it does give me a momentary pause. Then I drizzle with the best extra virgin olive oil that I can afford and liberally salt and pepper. Everyone loves this. Everyone. And it couldn’t be any easier.

Comments

I was in Capri in May! Alas, I didn’t have a caprese salad – but I did have a caprese panini (calda, natch!) and it was delicious!

Your food photography is utterly amazing. You should do it for a living!

Perfect! We ate this often when growing up and I still love it today. As soon as I saw your picture, I remembered this old Italian song my mom sang to us in the kitchen when we were little about “a fellow named Tony who loved a girl named Marie … at home on the Isle of Capri”. Sniff, now I’m all sappy!

YES! I was hoping to see how you fixed those tomatoes…and I was right. Just didn’t know if you cooked them at all. I will go home and give this a try.

I also hem and haw about the order of things. And having once settled on it, I then can never vary. My dearly beloved tells me it’s the OCD kicking in….

This is one of my favorite salads. I like making a vinaigrette with the olive oil and vinegar and adding minced capers and shallots. White balsamic vinegar is so great with this too.

I can’t wait for tomatoes from my garden, the first ones are going into this dish, you’ve convinced me of that! So delicious and so beautiful just to look at!

This is exactly what I was looking for. I saw this at Ikea and didn’t get it. Then I went back and it wasn’t there. I tried making it, but I didn’t even know what it was called. I figured it would be simple, but I don’t think I gave the flavors enough time to meld because all I could taste was the oil.