Roasted Mini Pumpkins

Mini Pumpkins

A couple of years ago, I decorated my classrooms with mini pumpkins for Halloween. When Halloween was over, I brought them home and threw them in my flower bed, thinking that they would rot and feed the soil. Much to my surprise, the next spring, a big squashish looking vine started growing in my flower bed! It has come back two years in a row. Last year, I just used the pumpkins for decoration, but this year, I did some searching and saw that they were edible!

Mini Pumpkins

They are really simple. You just slice off the top, scoop out the seeds, season how you would like, replace the lid, and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes. I used a little dab of butter and a sprinkling of brown sugar and cinnamon. It was okay. The mini pumpkins didn’t really taste like pumpkin at all, they tasted more like a squash, not very sweet. I think a savory application would have been better. I think next time, I might drizzle with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and some fresh (or dried) sage leaves.

Mini Pumpkins

They come out really cute. One thing, though, I should have cut more of the stem off. You can see that the stem part sort of burned. These would also make adorable vessels for a stuffing. I’m thinking a sausage/rice mixture would be lovely!

Comments

how festive! i tend to like my pumpkins with scary faces carved into them, but i’d be willing to give ‘em a shot like this. :)

Pam-

I roast these every year for Thanksgiving and add stuffing to them and have done a rice & wild mushroom thing. They make a great presentation and really take the meal up a notch. I always buy them at the store but that is hysterical about the plant starting up!

Oh, they are so sweet! My youngest daughter thinks they are cute! It’s getting to be the “roasted” season. I’m sure they taste terrific in both sweet and savory recipes. We’ve recently had a pumpkin curry that was outstanding.

Oh, those just make me smile! :-) I really want to see them on my table this fall. What a happy addition to a festive meal!

Those are great looking pumpkins, lol! I wish I could even think of having pumpkins–they’re no where to be found down here yet. That’s also quite funny that they just started showing up in your garden, but they do sound like a delicious vessel for baking. I’d be all for something sausagey in there…maybe something heavy on the chorizo or andouille…yum!

Wow, what a great idea, and what great vessels for your your imagination about what to put inside of them! Thanks for the inspiring idea. Yum.

We have been roasting them for years. Although we take they camping. Cut the top like you would a regular pumpkin. Clean out the inside. Put a couple heaping teaspoons of brown sugar in them and a glob of squeeze butter. Replace the top, wrap with alum foil like a “hershey’s kiss” and place on the coals of your fire for about 30 minutes. Yum Yum it is delicious. Taste like a pumpkin pie. Great novelty thing for a fall camping trip.