Orange Popsicle Ice Cream

Orange Popsicle Ice Cream

Do you ever think of a food, and then you can’t get it out of your mind? Every once in a while I’ll see a picture or think of a food that I really, really want, and I can’t stop thinking about it until I have some. For some reason, I started thinking about the orange ice cream bars that I used to love as a child. I think maybe they were called dreamsicles, with the orange and vanilla ice cream. And so even though summer is just a happy memory and I’m firmly involved in fall stuff, I was craving ice cream. Of course, I could be craving ice cream with cold winds blowing snow in my face, it really doesn’t matter. So, I turned to the master, David Lebovitz, Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accompaniments. As usual, he did not disappoint. The only bad thing I can say is that this was too good. It tasted too much like fresh oranges and where was the fake orange color? I guess there are lots worse things to be said about a recipe than “it was too good”.

Orange Popsicle Ice Cream
From David Lebovitz

2/3 cup sugar
grated zest of 3 oranges (preferably unsprayed)
1 1/4 cups fresh squeezed orange juice (I used a mix of fresh and from a carton)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup half-and-half
2 teaspoons Grand Marnier (I used Triple Sec)

In a blender, pulverize the sugar and the zest until the zest is very fine. My zest was not all that fine, because I was impatient! Add the orange juice, sour cream, half-and-half and Triple Sec and blend until the sugar is dissolved.

Chill thoroughly and then process in your ice cream maker per it’s instructions.

Comments

Well, I’m getting a Kitchenaid ice cream attachment for my birthday (do you believe that my computer illiterate hubby already ordered it from amazon?) and this will be the very first thing to come out of it!

I love orange ice cream!

This sounds amazing. Orange creamsicles are my fave of the frozen treats section. Think you can make me a cocktail out of this? ;)

yumm, orange creamsicles are so delicious. Also, if you want a creamsicle drink, mix orange juice and cream soda in a glass, more OJ than cream soda, and then an ounce of vodka if desired. Tastes just like the real thing.

Oh boy, you have just elevated yourself to goddess status in the eyes of my hubby and children. They LOVE dreamsicles and push-ups! I bet yours tastes way better, too!

I can’t get pumpkin out of my head. This ice cream looks delicious. I haven’t had an orange creamsicle in years.

dreamsicles, creamsicles–whatever you call them, they’re far and away my favorite ice cream novelty from childhood. this ice cream sounds tremendous!

7. Pam says

Marjie – when is your birthday!

Natashya – ooh, I bet it would make a good cocktail.

Nobel – it is yummy.

Raidergirl – that sounds good. I’m going to have to try it.

Paula – try it and see if they like it!

Peter – creamsicles! That’s what it is, I couldn’t remember what it was called.

Sandi – I’m also working my way through the book.

Pam – do you have the book, it has tons of great recipes in it.

Jenn – it is yummy.

8. learn chinese says

Thank you very much for sharing.
    Through your blog, a lot of people including me of course have a chance to read and learn from.
    I have read some of your post and I really enjoyed reading it.
    Thanks again and looking forward for more of your posting soon!