Yogurt Cheese

Cheese on Bagel

I’ve shown you how I make yogurt and I’ve shown you my favorite kind of yogurt to buy. Now, I’m going to show you another favorite thing I like to do with yogurt (and you thought I only used it for sweet frozen desserts). I love to make yogurt cheese. It’s a wonderful substitute for cream cheese and when you add some fresh herbs and a little bit of garlic, it’s divine on bread or crackers.

Yogurt Cheese Maker

You can use a colander and a bowl, but I love the neatness and ease of Cuisipro Donvier Yogurt Cheese Maker. Depending on how thick your yogurt is, it holds about a 32 oz container (if the yogurt is thick it holds a little less).

Yogurt

All you do, is spoon your yogurt into the strainer, place in the container, top it with the lid and place in the fridge. Leave it for 12-24 hours (the longer you leave it the thicker the cheese).

Yogurt Cheese

After 24 hours, you are left with wonderfully thick yogurt cheese and the yogurt whey (the liquid part) has all drained into the container. I keep this liquid and use it for baking bread (some people drink it!).

Comments

I may be a dumbbunny, but I didn’t know you make your own yogurt. I think I need to find out about this, after, of course, I get my Kitchenaid ice cream bowl for my birthday – and I will be surprised! Thanks for the recommendation on that!

2. Anonymous says

You and I may have been separated at birth. I make my own yogurt, yogurt cheese and use the whey for many things along with making bread. I have the exact strainer and use it a couple of times a week. A coffee filter will work too in a pinch. I love to add sugar free syrups to mine and get a sweet yogurt too. Yummy. Love your blog, btw I’m Cyndi.

I have the same yogurt cheese strainer! and I use the whey for bread too!
    How great of you to promote this healthy, easy, food preparation.
    My hubby, who has a history of tummy troubles, credits my homemade yogurt and yogurt cheese for making him a healthy guy.

Oh, I love, love, love yogurt cheese. I usually just make it with cheesecloth and a hand held metal strainer set over a large bowl. I would love to have one of your handy dandy containers! It’s never occurred to me to keep the liquid! Great idea!

5. Pam says

Marjie – when does the much anticipated ice cream attachment arrive?

Cyndi – thanks for visiting my blog! Using sugar free syrups is a great idea.

Noble – it’s really easy, and the cheese goes great on some crackers with some wine!

Natashya – great minds think alike!

Lydia – I know. This was another gadget that I didn’t absoultely have to have. But that’s never stopped me before.

Paula – the strainer really makes it easy.

Pam – thank you so much!

Yogurt cheese sounds really interesting. That strainer looks like it would be perfect for turning normal yogurt into thicker Greek style yogurt which I find difficult to get.

this is a fabulous post–never in a million years would i have thought to make my own yogurt, much less my own yogurt cheese. :)