Butternut Squash Puree

Squash Before

I’ve lamented before about getting too many veggies from my CSA, or rather, too much of the same thing. The radishes were tough to deal with, but the abundance of winter squash, I figured I could handle that. But still, butternut squash every week is not necessarily my idea of a good time. So, I decided to freeze them. After researching it, a google here, a google there, freezing a puree sounded like the way to go.

Squash After

I preheated the oven to 400. Cut the squash in half and scooped out the seeds. Debated whether or not to roast the seeds. Decided I was too lazy, so I composted them instead. Brushed the cut side of the squash with a little olive oil, and laid them cut side down on a baking sheet, and added a little water to the pan. Roasted them for about an hour. Removed them from oven and let cool. When they were cool enough to handle, I pureed them in my food processor and then scooped it into jars. Now I have 4 of these bright orange jars of roasted squash puree in my freezer. Aren’t they pretty, they are the very epitome of autumn. I’m not sure how I’m going to use them, any ideas anyone??

Comments

Butternut squash bread. I made it last week, although I had mashed my squash with pumpkin pie spices, which you could add to yours. Tastes just like pumpkin bread. My dearly beloved also told me that his mother made squash pie, which tasted just like pumpkin pie. Two ideas for the price of one, here!

so pretty! and love the vintage feel of the jars! have you considered making butternut squash dumplings? or perhaps butternut squash pie (as opposed to pumpkin)?

Gorgeous photos. What I want to know is what is the yellow object behind the jars of squash? I can’t figure it out and it’s making me crazy! I love your vintage style. I am a “red” person and love vintage 40’s and 50’s kitchen items.

Would make a nice base for soup or holiday dips. How does freezing in the mason jars work? Any cautions (i.e., don’t fill too full)? I have been looking for an alternative to plastics.

You can also process the Squash in the Microwave. Cut it up, put in a dish with a little water, cook for 20 min. It doesn’t dry out as much as in the oven, and is easier to process. I do this every year with my Halloween Jack-O-Lantern pumpkin to Make my famous Double-Jack Pie (Jack-O-Lantern & Jack Daniels).

Have you tried making a nice soup with the Squash? It makes a delicious winter soup.

You should have kept the seeds. Clean them, dry them, bag them. They’re really worth a lot. Give them to someone who likes to garden or even replant them yourself!

7. swirlingnotions says

Gorgeous shots! That puree would be great in muffins . . . or a risotto with pancetta . . . mmmmm.

8. Pam says

Joy – I will!

Terri – thank you!

Marjie – what a great idea.

Shabby – oh, it will definitely be going into some soup.

Pearl – pie sounds good.

jlarson – I’ll have to check it out, pie is sounding pretty darn good.

Queenie – it’s a napkin holder!

Shannon – some of them are marked for freezing. They don’t have the shoulders, so the food slips out easier. Just leave headroom.

justme – thanks, I’m off to check out your blog.

Renee – good idea, but no babies here!

Chrome – I never thought about microwaving it!

Swirling – a risotto sounds great!

Bradshaws – I wish I’d thought of that, all I thought about was roasting, and I didn’t feel like doing that.

I’m not a big fan of the Butternut Squash. I know I saw something on the food network about using it in placement of something else though. I’ll see if I can’t find it. Gorgeous photo though!!!

I don’t know for sure what you could make with those beauties, but they sure look pretty !

Squash pie?
    Butternut bread?

I’m willing to taste-test for you, if you want to experiment on me !

Squash pie?
    Butternut bread?

I’m willing to taste-test for you, if you want to experiment on me !

There are few things better than food made from scratch.

Hello =)

My name is J.R. Baker and I am a student (and a fellow teacher) currently working on my PhD in Australia. I’m doing research on blogging and social networking, and was wondering if you could use your blog to alert people to my research? I’ve done previous research in the area which can be seen on my blogspot page. I’m trying to get a number of bloggers with varied interests and content on their pages to participate in the research.

I need a fair number of participants for the study, and so far I haven’t had an easy time getting participants. My final thesis length should be around 400 pages so I’m desperate to get participants now so I don’t have to cram writing up the thesis into the last few months of the degree.

I would really appreciate it if you could share my research with your readers, or even better participate in it yourself. I found your blog because it is one of the noteworthy blogs at the minute which is most excellent.

The link to the study for bloggers is http://onlinesocialresearch.com/ and the survey takes 15-20 minutes to fill out.

Don’t worry if you don’t want to pass it on or participate, but thanks very much if you do!

Cheers,

J.R.

I agree with Shabby girl!
    Butternut squash soup is wonderful.

I peel the squash sometimes and mix with other veg like potatoes and even beets(orange beets) and toss with olive oil and rosemary. Then I roast them in the oven.

I was just reading Heidi’s blog, 101 Recipes and she suggested substituting white beans for spuds in mashed potatoes. I bet you could blend the squash with potatoes, blend in a little fried sage and a little garlic and it would be delish!

2 recipes that would be good (which I got from the cookbook Deceptively delicious) is grilled cheese (I normally use sweet potato but I think b.s. would well too) and macaroni and cheese. I know they’re kind of boring but I bet it would be good!

16. Anonymous says

I like what you did with butternut squash. I made an acorn squash dish by roasting acorn squash halves, cutting it up and mixing it with a lime and chile vinagarette. Your page looks delicious.