Chicken with Sweet Chili Sauce

Chili Sweet Chicken

How fast can you walk through an Asian market? Me…it takes forever. I wander up and down the aisles, picking up items and squinting at them, because for some reason I think that squinting will help me understand what the label says. I’m sure that I need one of everything, and frequently come home with things that I have no idea how to use or sometimes even what they are! One of the items I picked up was a sweet chili sauce. I wasn’t sure what to do with it, except that it says “for chicken” right on the label, complete with a helpful picture of a chicken!

Sweet Chili Sauce

I love this stuff. It makes the perfect dipping sauce for chicken, egg rolls, just about anything, and it makes a fabulous marinade and glaze. I hesitate to even post this as a recipe, because it’s a couple of ingredients thrown together. That’s it. I served it with steamed bok choy (and yes, my bok choy kind of looks eaten up, it’s organic, what can I say, I share it with bugs), and jasmine rice. If you are wondering why it serves an odd number, it’s because I wanted one for my lunch the next day!

Chicken with Sweet Chili Sauce
(serves 3)

1/2 cup of sweet chili sauce
1/2 cup of soy sauce
peanut oil (or whatever you want to use for sauteing)
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Mix 1/4 cup chili sauce and 1/4 cup soy sauce in a shall glass dish or zip lock bag, add chicken and turn to coat. Marinate chicken in refrigerator for 30 minutes.

Add a tablespoon or two of oil to a pan and heat over medium high heat. Lift chicken from marinade and brown on one side for about 2-3 minutes (it may smoke a little from the sweet marinade). Turn the chicken over and brown for 2 minutes per this side. Cover with a lid, turn the heat to low and let it finish cooking for about 8 minutes.

Mix remaining chili sauce and soy sauce in a small pot and heat over low heat until heated through, about 5 minutes. Serve over chicken.

Comments

We are indeed becoming global! I have this exact bottle in my fridge! :) And I think I am half-way across the globe from you! :)

I’m with you… a great Asian market is like a kid in a candy store… I could spend a good long time checking everything out. Last visit to one, I came home w/ Green Tea Pumpkin Seeds. I thought they looked intriguing. Turns out they tasted like perfume and went in the trash!

Don’t hesitate to post the simple stuff. This looks amazing, and so easy too!

The chicken looks great and I love to cook Asian. Asian markets keep me entertained for hours because I’m trying to figure out what some things are or how to use them in a dish. Usually someone who knows what they are doing pities me helps me out.

I am addicted to that sweet chili sauce. It’s really good on salmon, too. Your photography is just terrific; you could work as a food stylist and photographer!

My roommate is from Tawain and cooks like a mad man the most amazing dishes from scratch and he uses that same sauce in nearly everything! I love being his food tested! Great job creating an amazing dish! … now I’m craving chicken.
    }{ Brittney

I love the Asian markets too – as long as I am away from the meat and fish department.
    The chicken looks wonderful, sweet chili sauce is great.

I love sweet chili sauce and always have a bottle in my pantry. Sometimes, on its own, it’s the perfect dipping sauce; other times I do what you did, and combine with other great condiments I find at my Asian market.

lol@the helpful chicken picture on the bottle. The chicken sounds delicious.

I’m also slow in foreign markets…and any grocery store other than my regular place. The Indian grocery really gets me when they have things but with their Indian names (go figure!).

This recipe is really going to keep me busy in the kitchen with all its glamor. This is another must for the weekend! My kids would just hug me for this.

10. Anonymous says

I think you should comment on throwing away the marinade that the raw chicken was in. Or dump it into the sautee to cook???…..

I love Pepper Sauce….In a pinch I’ve used this if I’m out of chutney for East Indian foods…

Blessings, G’ma

11. Cheryl says

I googled for a chicken recipe with sweet chili sauce and found yours. It looks great and I’m going to try it tonight on chicken drums baked in the oven.
    thanks
    Cheryl

Thanks for the recipe – I, too, googled for a thai chicken recipe and came upon your blog – which I **LOVE**. I feel a kinship with you – I love cooking, eating, reading, sewing/crafting… great blog! kudos on keeping it up! The chicken is marinating right now… will have with sauteed red chard tonight! yum!

This is exactly what I was looking for when I typed in “sweet chili sauce chicken.” We’re snowed-in in Atlanta and all I have is chicken, green pepper and rice, and I just happened to pick up some chili sauce the other day! I’ll let you know how it goes!

Hi! I stumbledupon your site and just wanted to let you know that I am going to be using your recipe on my blog :D. You can read more on my blog at: thestumbleuponchef.wordpress.com

Thanks for the great recipe :D

I can’t wait to try this tonite. My hubby just picked u that same chili sauce. He was going to use it in a grouper recipe, but I wanted another type of sauce. I am so glad I had him wait! The servings will be perfect as well; since there is 3 of us for dinner. Thank you!