Cranberry Orange Sorbet

Cranberry Orange Sorbet

Nothing says fall and holidays more to me than seeing cranberries appear at the grocery store. I buy lots and store them in the freezer, because other than a few short weeks in November and December, I never, ever see them. So, actually this recipe was made with a bag of cranberries frozen last year! I am trying to use them up, as I start to buy more this year.

Cranberry Orange Sorbet

If you are looking for something different to do with cranberries, you have come to the right place. This was amazing. When you first taste this, all you taste is sweet and it tastes like a regular sorbet, but then after you swallow, you get the tartness of the cranberries. It is a very sophisticated flavor. It might even be my very favorite recipe out of my very favorite ice cream book, Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accompaniments by David Lebovitz.

Cranberry Orange Sorbet

It even took a little more work then I usually attempt. I even got out my food mill. But it was so worth it!

Cranberry Orange Sorbet

1 1/2 cups of cranberries, fresh or frozen
1 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
grated zest from 1 orange
1 1/2 cups orange juice (the recipe calls for fresh, I juiced the one orange that I zested and then just used orange juice from the carton in my fridge)
1 to 2 teaspoons Grand Marnier or Cointreau (optional, but I used it!!)

Heat the cranberries, water, sugar, and the orange zest in a non-reactive pan until the liquid starts to boil. Boil for 1 minute, remove the pan from the heat, cover it, and let it sit for 30 minutes.

Pass the cranberries through a food mill (using a fine disk) (mine doesn’t have disks, so I don’t know if it was fine or not), or puree them in a blender and then strain the puree through a sieve to remove large pieces of cranberry skin. Stir in the orange juice and the liqueur.

Chill then freeze in your ice cream maker according to it’s instructions.

Bookmarked Recipes

This will be my entry for this week’s Bookmarked Recipes, which is hosted by
, hosted by Ruth at Ruth’s Kitchen Experiments.

Comments

Oh, yeah! You know I’ll be all over this one. I buy lots of cranberries in November, too, and freeze them, because I believe they’re only harvested in October/November. A friend once dated (for about a year) an heir to Ocean Spray. I told him he should have kept her, and kept me supplied with cranberries. He laughed at me.

Yummo! I have been craving to own one of those nifty CuisineArt ice cream makers for some months now! Maybe this is just what I need after seeing your post on this! Absolutely stunning!

i can’t believe i haven’t seen this particular combination as a sorbet before! cranberry and orange are a lovely pair, and your sorbet looks incredible. :)

I have been working on my KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker skills and still lacking bad.

Do you know about how long you ran it in the mixer?

I’ve been wondering about this flavor lately myself and can imagine how good it must be. The color really sings!

And, lol, and I *finally* just used up the last of my cranberries in the freezer–I better stock up so I can be backwards about it next year!

6. Pam says

Marjie – this would be wonderful in your knew ice cream attachment!

soulchocolate – I love, love, love my ice cream maker!

Natashya – what a great idea!

Pam – thanks, but it was David Lebovitz’s creativity. He is a genius!

Noble – how about right after your turkey??

Katherine – I absolutely love my ice cream maker, I use it all year round.

Patricia – it really is yummy and tart.

Grace – I love the combination of cranbery and orange, it’s perfect, isn’t it?

I had my first chance to make frozen desserts this past summer, when my exec. chef decided to feature Gelato and it was definitely a blast – I’m excited to give this one a try.

Saw your blog on “Blogs of Note” – immediately fell in love with your food photography, which I am just beginning to try myself. Nice work!

This sounds wonderful and I love that you made it with last year’s cranberries. I’m always using up my last bags of cherries just as the next year’s cherry season begins.

OH my goodness, this is so perfect! I wish I was back in Chattanooga so I could get away with eating all that and not freezing. Fantastic idea! :)

I love the mixture of the Christmassy flavours in this. Sounds so tasty and refreshing.

Thanks for sending this into the round up

Ruth