Thai One-Pot

Thai One-Pot

I can’t decide whether or not I plan to do a CSA next year. I know I don’t have to decide until March, but that doesn’t stop my from fretting about it now. I loved it in the summer, when I had free time to think about each ingredient and figure out how I wanted to use them. But once school started, and I’m exhausted, and usually have some sort of cold, and I’m even less creative than usual, it’s become some what of a chore. I posted about roasted radishes, and while it was pretty good, it’s not something I want to eat often. I’m kind of done with radishes, but they keep coming. Every week. Another bunch of radishes. I’ve offered them to friends, I’ve composted them, I’ve used them in salads. Please make them stop.

So, I found this recipe in Quick from Scratch One-Dish Meals Cookbook (Quick From Scratch) by Food & Wine Magazine. It called for radishes. I had plenty of those. It also called for ground pork, which I didn’t have. I substituted ground turkey, which may have made it healthier, but I think it would have been way better with pork. The turkey just didn’t have enough flavor. I found the recipe on-line Thai One-Pot and I’ve also included it below for you.

Thai One-Pot
Serves 4

1 tablespoon cooking oil
1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch strips
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch strips
1/4 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, caps cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 pounds lean ground pork (or turkey)
3/4 cup short-grain rice
2 1/2 cups canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
4 scallions including green tops, chopped
10 radishes, cut into thin slices
5 tablespoons chopped cilantro or fresh parsley
2 tablespoons lime juice (from about 1 lime)

In a large frying pan, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the bell peppers, shiitakes, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and cook, stirring every so often, until they begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Remove.

Add the pork (or turkey) to the pan and cook, stirring, until it is no longer pink, about 3 minutes. If you used pork, you can spoon off the fat at this point. Stir in the bell peppers and shiitakes, the rice, broth, soy sauce, the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, and the cayenne. Bring to a simmer. Cover. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, without removing the lid, until the rice is just done, about 20 minutes.
Remove the pot from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Stir in the scallions, radishes, cilantro, and lime juice.

Comments

This looks interesting. It’s great when you find a recipe that will use up a whole lot of something you have too much of.

I can sympathize with the radish thing. Our CSA last year kept giving us all sorts of things we couldn’t identify, much less cook with. We didn’t re-enlist this year.

Hey! Blog of Note! Congrats! You’re still getting radishes? I’ll keep my fingers crossed that the next installment is radish free. This recipe sounds great; I like how it’s loaded with different flavors. Plus, it has your favorite cilantro in it! It certainly looks pretty, too!

I stopped by to congratulate you on your Blog of Note. Now that I’m here I think I’ll just have a seat and enjoy some of your wonderful recipes!

Congrats on blog of note. This is one yummy blog. The sorbet looks good. I love the pictures of the flowers. Pretty hankies. My Dad always use to carry handkerchiefs around.

Congrats on being a blog of note. I can certainly see why! Your photos are amazing. And I may just be inspired to cook! For the record — that chicken with the peppers looks yummy to me (only a teeny tiny bit creepy!) I’ll be back to visit soon! Cheers!

Adlibby

My new milkman does a CSA, too, but I’m afraid of getting bucketloads of peppers, to which I’m allergic, and other things I won’t or can’t use. You have my radish sympathy! But, again, it’s a lovely save, and a pretty dinner in your square bowl!

Maybe you could do a radish art project at school like they do with apples. Slice the radish in half and dip in paint to make pictures. No?

Did you know that radish greens are edible, too? They are delicious and I love to add them to salads or stir-fries. Also, I have been making the best Cheesy Spinach Squares, which are actually like an easy, crustless quiche, and I just cut up all my CSA greens and throw them in.

could you write a post on how to take such lovely pictures. It would help many!
    And congratulations for being the blog of note.

Congratulations on the blog of note! I only stopped by briefly, but already found two recipes that I must try! :) Amazing photos as well….I will be visiting often!

I like Thai foods very much. They tasted delicious~
    But I am bad in cooking.^^” In my country, everywhere is restaurants. Thanks for your article about Thai One Pot. And I would like to share you an article also.

Since the last years of 20th century, we are shocked by increasing sufferings of various kinds. Unusual natural disasters like global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, tsunamis all took place recently. Moreover, global financial systems are also collapsing.

It is reasonable to conclude that there must be something wrong. The survival of human beings comes to a critical point. Each person cannot by himself reverse the situation.
    However, if all of us can unite together, we can get a very strong power to create our future.

Here, we sincerely invite everybody to join us. You can do any good deed per day. For example, you may donate one
    dollar, look after your friends, pray to God, or chant the name of Buddha or mantra. Everything beneficial to any
    creatures is welcome.

You can write down your good deed here or in your diary and pray love and peace of the world. Since our loves live
    here: parents, spouses, children, siblings, friends, teachers, classmates, puppies and kitties. We love them and ourselves. Come on. Let’s take actions now.

ps. You can also invite your best friends to join us. We can encourage each other and gain more power to do. If you agree with us, you can also endorse for the Declarations for Human Rights of World Citizens and Peace.
    Just sign your name and make a good wish for the world. We will present the result to Mr. Ban, the Secreatary-General of United Nations, so that the United Nations can understand our supports and wishes.

CSA’s sound like fun but I kind of like seeing what’s at the farmers market this week and planning to use it next week. I like all of the flavours in this dish!

I recognized this as soon as I saw it. I have made this recipe many times and it is a personal favorite. From the lime, to the crunch of the radish, it’s pure deliciousness.

14. Anonymous says

Заметил такую тенденцию, что в блогах появилось много не адекватных комментариев, не могу понять, это что кто то спамит так? А зачем, чтоб падлу комуто сделать))) Имхо глупо…