Canned Tomato Tip

Tomato Tip

Well, it’s time once again for Cooking Tips from Auntie Pam. Actually, there is no such event, as Cooking Tips from Auntie Pam, it’s just that this has been a very busy day. We’ve done the whole..drag the decorations out of the attic, sort the breakable from the nonbreakable ornaments (a, probably in vain, attempt to Patchouli proof the tree), carried the tree in from it’s cold bucket of water outside, and put up our Christmas cheer. A nice stout, I love a dark beer, is making me sleepy and everything is all warm and fuzzy. So, no recipe today (or actually tomorrow, because this is my tomorrow post), just a quick tip.

I am under the belief that whole canned tomatoes are of a better quality than the already cut up ones. I think that they can use bits and pieces of not so good tomatoes for the diced tomatoes, but a whole tomato pretty much has to be in good shape. So, I buy whole canned tomatoes and if my recipe calls for them diced, I take out my handy dandy kitchen shears and chop them up while they’re still in the can. Easy peasy.

Comments

I never thought of the possibility that diced tomatoes might be the “leftovers”. I love your suggestion! Plus, I have found that whole tomatoes tend to be cheaper!

I think the whole ones are better too.
    I did hear from one chef or another on tv that the diced tomatoes, etc are cooked twice whereas the whole only once. Cutting them in a can is a great idea! It will save me the inevitable squirt of tomato juice I get on my shirt, wall, etc. from hand crushing them!

Greetings Pam, Thanks for the tomato tip. Your picture shows a brand I am very familiar with and use often for it’s quality and taste. They also have a fire roasted tomato that I really like. I tried your maple chicken and sweet potato recipe. It was great. I used chicken breast and will reduce the cooking time the next time I make it. I’m going to try the Toasted Almonds in Chile Oil next. Blessings, SusanD

I can’t tell you how many things I use the kitchen shears for, which I’m sure were never intended. Hey, save time and mess wherever possible, right?

Good luck with the Patchouli-proof tree. I won’t tell you about the time our 6 month old mastiff pup got spooked and leaped through the tree on Christmas eve. It was not a happy event. Be glad Patchouli does not weigh 100 plus pounds is the moral of that story.

ooh that’s a good idea. LOL surprising how i don’t even think of that, since a few inches over, they have the option for “DICED” tomatoes :)

Great tip, Pam! My kitchen shears get used almost as much as my favorite chef’s knife. I’m looking at the cans of chopped tomatoes in my cupboard and am wrinkling my nose as them. I’ll be buying whole tomatoes from now on, and snipping them in the can with my shears.

Shears — yes. I try to be a hero and chop them up on a cutting board, bleeding all over.

Wanting to save the effort, I tried diced tomatoes once and switched back to whole after noticing that the diced really had no flavour at all.

Shears: yes.

Sorry, I am replying here off topic for a question of yours at Kalofagas’ blog, because while you have 3 blogs on Blogger, you offer no way to contact you. Sorry about that.

>I can’t really get veal here, >what would be a good substitute?

Goat, or trout. For goat, you need to cook it separately for 2 hours and throw away its boiling water twice. For trout, you add it at the last 10 minutes.

I am Greek too, so I am familiar with the recipe.

Great tip Pam, I have also used my handheld immersion blender in the cans of whole tomatoes instead of pulling out my blender. Enjoy your tree.