Sicilian-Syle Spaghetti – Tyler Florence

Sicilian-Style Spaghetti

I’ve tossed around two different ways to introduce this post. One..Tyler Florence and his use of pans, or two…having a discriminating palate. Where to begin? Okay, let’s start with Tyler. I love Tyler, so much so that I joined Tyler Florence Fridays and Tyler, well, Tyler loves his pots, pans and dishes. So, one of my first notes about this recipe, as I was making it, was that I will combine a few of the steps next time and save a few pots. There is a pot for the pasta, a saute pan for cauliflower, a cookie sheet for the breadcrumbs, and a bowl to toss it in. Now, Tyler doesn’t mention the pine nuts, but they are supposed to be toasted, and I don’t know about you, but mine don’t come toasted, so there is a small skillet for that. I was even so cocky to mention in my notes that this may very well be “The Ultimate” way to make this, but that next time I will do it differently. Well, that was before I tasted it. Oh my gosh! This was wonderful. Seriously wonderful. So good, that I am afraid to change anything.

The second thing I wanted to mention was discriminating palates. Not that I have one or anything like that. But when I reheated this the next day at work, people were complaining that it smelled bad. I know cooked cauliflower may not have the most appetising aroma and then when I said that maybe they were smelling the anchovies, they looked at me aghast. I tried to argue that it was great, the combination of cauliflower, anchovies, raisins and pine nuts, was outstanding. Now they were really looking at me with disbelief, another teacher said that she didn’t even know what a pine nut was. What’s up with people and their lack of adventure in their cooking and eating??

Sicilian-Syle Spaghetti
from
Tyler’s Ultimate: Brilliant Simple Food to Make Any Time
Serves 4

Kosher salt
q head of cauliflower; cored and broken into small florets
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 anchovy fillets, mashed to a paste with the side of a large knife
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts

1/2 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
Freshly ground black pepper

1 pound spaghetti
Leaves from 1/2 small bunch of parsley, chopped
juice of 1/2 a lemon
Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese for serving

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the pasta. Preheat the oven to 350.

Saute the cauliflower and the anchovies in a saute pan in 1/4 cup of olive oil. Heat over medium heat until the oil is hot and the anchovies are sizzling. Add 1/4 cup of water and season with salt. Bring to a simmer, heat on medium, cover and and steam the cauliflower for about 5 minutes. Uncover and cook for about 5-7 minutes more until the water has evaporated and the cauliflower is starting to brown. Add the raisins and pine nuts and toss to warm through. Remove the pan from the heat and cover to keep warm.

ON a baking sheet, drizzle the panko with 2-3 tablespoons of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat and spread out in a layer on a baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes or until it’s lightly brown and crunchy.

Cook the spaghetti until al dente.

Drain the spaghetti and place in a large bowl. Add a 2 count of olive oil and toss. Dump in the cauliflower mixture, add the parsley and lemon juice, and fold together. Arrange on a plate and sprinkle with the bread crumbs and cheese.

Comments

Hey Pam, This recipe sounds great. I’m like you tho wondering: “What’s up with people and their lack of adventure in their cooking and eating??” My husband calls me a food snob, yet he’s the one who doesn’t want to eat dishes with raisins, peppers, cukes, zukes, and the list continues. What’s up with that??

Your blog is wonderful and I’ve really been enjoying it.

Blessings, Susan

Yum! Yum! YUM! Oh wow, does this ever sound and look good! I ate food similar to this growing up, and now I’m homesick! Cauliflower can be a bit odorous, but I just love, love, love it, especially when it’s pan or oven “fried”. I’d love to try this as I’ve not had raisins with pasta before, but I bet it tastes great. I love anchovies … straight up or mixed in … doesn’t matter! This is a great recipe! I hope you made lots of yummy noises in front of the others at work! Perhaps they were jealous because all they had was a frozen hot pocket or some such thing! :-)

The pasta dish looks great! Cauliflower, pine nuts, anchovies: yummy!

I agree with you about Tyler Florence’s “messiness” though. So many pots and pans in use. The Food Network should have a show with a host that uses the least number of pots and pans. I totally would watch that show.

My Sicilian grandmother & mother made this dish for all the family my entire life and now I make it.

Unfortunately, my meat & potatoes American food husband and my very white-bread American food daughter don’t care for the anchovies or raisins. You are correct…what is wrong with people and their lack of taste adventure?!

So I make my separate dish with the anchovies, etc., and make theirs blah… i mean bland.

I also add red pepper flakes and it is super delicious!

Pasta = good, cauliflower = good… I’m veggie so I’d skip on the anchovies though.

I am a bit mystified by these Tyler Florence Fridays because I’m a Brit and I’ve never heard of him…… I’ve also never heard of ‘kosher salt’ before, I didn’t know salt could be non-kosher. So much to learn, so little time! Thanks for the fab recipes :)

Tyler probably hasn’t done his own dishes in quite a while!
    I do love pasta, this one sounds great – but I Never tell my daughter when anchovies are involved. She would never forgive me!

Okay, I’m going to do adventurous thing and do the anchovies as well. I always feel that they ruin a perfectly good pizza, but I’ll take your word on this and give it a go.
    Like Mikey used to say:
    TRY it, you’ll LIKE it !

Not sure if it’s more shocking that your co-worker didn’t know what a pine nut was or when I hear people tell me they’ve never been outside Texas. I am amazed and inspired by your many adventures into a variety of cookbooks, so maybe you’re living on the other extreme from this person. :)

Oh how I would love this. My husband doesn’t like cauliflower so I’ll have to make it when he isn’t home. It looks really fantastic!

i would like mr florence a lot more if he would just slow down and start speaking like a man in his 30s (40s?) instead of a frat boy…
    great dish, though. and i usually just pity people who don’t like to try new things. :)

That looks delicioso!!! I love Tyler Florence. Aww heck … I love the Food Network too.

I hope they have more compelling contestants this year on Next Food Network Star.

I digress. Thanks for all the yummy goodness!!!

It looks delicious. It sounds similar to his topping for the feta i made last week and that was yummy too. I think Ina Garten beats him in most pans used per recipe average still! ;-)
    Thanks for coming to TFF!

Wow – this is going on the PDQ list. It does look fabulous. BTW, I think we share our passion for cooking adventures….I love reading your blog…