The Ultimate Chicken Wings with Curry-Lime Butter

Chicken Wings

Every week I have a hard decision to make. And no, I’m not talking about what to watch on my TIVO line-up (though that is a tough one sometimes), I’m talking about what Tyler Florence recipe to make for Tyler Florence Fridays. One recipe that I kept coming back to time and time again, was The Ultimate Chicken Wings with Curry-Lime Butter from Tyler’s Ultimate. What’s not to like in that title, I mean really, chicken wings, curry, lime, butter, it all sounds good!

While these chicken wings tasted good (especially the next day, when I rebaked them and they got all glazed and crispy), I made a few notes of things that I might do differently. A few of the things I noted: the wings were left whole – next time I would discard the tips and separate the 2 parts, one baking sheet was not enough – my wings were too crowded which impacted how crisp they got, and the oven could have probably been a little hotter.

So, today, when I was getting ready to type in this post, I went searching for the recipe online, so that I wouldn’t have to go back upstairs and get the book! And what did I find? A version of the recipe that looked exactly how I envisioned it would look with all the changes I would have made!!! Here is the recipe on-line by Tyler for Food & Wine, The Ultimate Chicken Wings with Curry-Lime Butter. Seriously, how cool is that? All of the changes that I noted were included. I don’t consider myself very talented when it comes to cooking..I basically follow the instructions, so it was nice to see that I was right on the money with these changes.

The Ultimate Chicken Wings with Curry-Lime Butter
From Food & Wine
Serves 4 to 6

4 pounds chicken wings, tips discarded, wings separated into 2 pieces
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
Salt and freshly ground pepper
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
1 tablespoon honey
Juice and finely grated zest of 1 lime
1 teaspoon soy sauce

Preheat the oven to 475°. Spread the wings on 2 large rimmed baking sheets. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and toss. Bake the wings for about 40 minutes, or until browned and crisp.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, blend the butter with the curry paste, honey, lime juice and zest and soy sauce. When the wings are done, transfer them to the bowl and toss with the butter until well coated. Transfer the wings to a platter and serve.

P.S. Happy New Year!!!!

Comments

wow, just wow, they look so yummy.

The curry part doesn’t cook? Different, but even easier, as my kids wouldn’t be interested in the curry part, and I could take a few wings out for them before the yummy gets added.

Happy New Year to you too!

they sound yummy. But, I can’t stand eating chicken wings…they are so much messy work for so little pay off. Do you think this would work with boneless, skinless chicken breast cutlets…I know there is a real name for that…or do they really need the skin?

they sound so delicious! i love tyler.

i was thinking along the same lines as hip chick… i’m not a big fan of chicken on bones, esp. wings. i think i will try this recipe with boneless breasts and coat them with the mix before baking.

thanks for the recipe… well, for all your recipes :)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Big wing fans in my household! Everyone in my family, picky eaters club members included, would love these! There’s just something wonderful about wings! Also, I think you are a very talented cook! How cool that your changes were noted! Happy New Year!

I keep eyeballing this recipe too. great that you tried it and that your changes were the same ones he made–I’ll follow your lead when I make them. ;-)

Aloha & Happy New Year,

Deb

Yummmm ! I like that you add the curry part at the end, so I could set aside a couple of wings and add BBQ sauce or whatever for the kids and save the GOOD stuff for me. *slurp*

I just love the fiddly business of eating chicken wings and barbequed ribs… ’cause for me, the mess is half the fun!

everything’s “the ultimate” with tyler, isn’t it! great wings, pam. after all, ain’t no thang like a chicken wang. :)
    happy 2009!

“Do you think this would work with boneless, skinless chicken breast cutlets…”

I was wondering this same exact thing.

There’s only one way to find out!

Best wishes for a grand New Year…good food, good books, good friends, & good times.

I love a good chicken wing and this sounds like a tasty one. Now that I think about it, I’m way overdue for some wings after all this holiday food….waaaay overdue. I hope you and your had a happy holiday!