Chicken with Tarragon Vinegar Sauce

Chicken with Tarragon Vinegar Sauce

I bought a new cookbook. Don’t berate me. It’s the fault of the library. I was searching for new cookbooks, and I checked out The Bon Appetit Cookbook: Fast Easy Fresh to browse through. See, I had good intentions, but oh my, it’s 1,100 recipes!!! Not only is it impressive in sheer volume (think… Bittman’s How to Cook Everything..big), but it’s all fast and easy. You know how there is weekend cooking and then there is I’m-so-tired-I-can’t-believe-I-have-to-cook weeknight cooking. This may very well become my weeknight cookbook. Seriously, everything, easy peasy.

One of the first things I spotted was a recipe for Chicken with Tarragon Vinegar Sauce. Remember my tarragon vinegar? This sounded like a very good use for it. I know my picture for some reason showcases the shallots tumbling down over the brown rice, instead of the chicken, which is supposed to be the star of the show. Sorry. I don’t know what I was thinking?? Maybe I was in a hurry because my husband was standing there waiting for his plate. Patience. You must have patience in my house.

Chicken with Tarragon Vinegar Sauce
Serves 2

2 tablespoons butter
2 chicken breast halves, with skin and bones
3 shallots, chopped
1/2 cup tarragon vinegar
1 cup low-salt chicken broth

1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon

Melt the butter in a heavy, medium skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add to skillet and saute until golden, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to plate and add shallots to skillet. Saute shallots for about 30 seconds, then add vinegar; boil until reduced to a glaze, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes. Add the broth and return the chicken, skin side up, to skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until cooked through, about 12 minutes.

Transfer chicken to a platter. Add tarragon to the drippings in the skillet. Increase the heat to medium-high; boil uncovered until sauce is slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve over the chicken.

I made the recipe as noted, except that I didn’t have any fresh tarragon, which I think would have added a nice fresh touch. I’ll have to make this again in the summer. I also think this would be good with skinless, boneless breasts. Since this is a classic French Bistro dish, I am entering into Regional Recipes, hosted by Susan C at Open Mouth, Insert Fork.

Comments

So easy! Sounds like a great cookbook to me. I know you needed it. Never any judgement here, nor need to justify a wonderful cookbook!

that post made me laugh – reminded me of one time when i was trying to get just the right picture of some plate of food i had just made.. you know how it goes.. and my husband said “hurry up and take the picture, you’re sucking the flavor out of it!”

Thank you for participating! This is a wonderful entry and I think the picture is lovely, shallots and all.

I’m going to go back and read your posts about the herb vinegars. I’ve been wanting to make some of my own.

“Maybe I was in a hurry because my husband was standing there waiting for his plate.”

HA!

I do the same thing to my husband in the mornings when I make his bento and if it comes out pretty I want to take a photo… he patiently waits…

I checked out the link to the tarragon vinegar. So simple. I’ll be planting plenty of tarragon in my herb garden this summer. Yes sirree!

I think the photo looks terrific! That chicken sounds so good. I need to get on the tarragon band wagon. And, hey, new cookbooks are a good thing. A very good thing. Or so I keep telling myself every time I get a new one. Besides, it was meant to be since you found this awesome recipe in it! YUM!

what a poifect use for your tarrgon vinegar! i personally don’t use much vinegar, but surely i’d appreciate it more if it was tarragon-flavored. and ensconced in chicken. :)

8. Pam says

Natashya – oh no, I’m contributing to a cookbook wishlist!

Terri – what are some things you do with yours?

Shabby – I always forget too, that’s why I made the vinegar.

Katherine – thank you!

Marjie – thanks for not making me feel guilty!

Mia – I love that!

Darlene – I’m excited to finally participate.

Michelle – let me know if you make anything from it!

Financial – thanks for visiting my blog!

Queenie – I want to make bentos so bad, I just don’t have the time!

Pam – Let me know if you like it!

Savory – I know! Next year, I’m going to be making lots more.

Paula – I’m glad you understand the importance of cookbooks!

Grace – I don’t use that much vinegar either, but now that I have these flavors I really like trying to find ways to use it.

Andrea – I know, tarragon is easy to forget for some reason.

Ace – Sorry it’s all gone!

Tins – thank you!

I’m picking this book up today. And that was my intent – to have a great weeknight cookbook. Sounds like it is!

Very lovely dish, Pam. Will try with tarragon.