Overnight Beef Stock

Beef Broth

Hey, guess what I did all night long on Friday night??? Well, duh, I guess if you can read the title of the post, you have it figured out! In November, we purchased a side of beef, and now my freezer is stocked with lots and lots of grass-fed, hormone-free beef. When we were picking up the beef, the farmer was telling me what was included. One of the things was a bag of bones, which he started to explain what to do with. I interrupted him and said, “Oh, don’t worry, I have plans for those.” When he found out I was going to make stock, he offered me a whole cooler full of bones for free!!! He said no one wanted them, most people don’t know what to do with them. I was almost as excited about these bones as I was the lovely packages of beef.

Warning…vegetarians…look away, shot of beef bones to follow.

One of the things I had marked to do over Christmas break (which ended today…gulp), was to make stock. Since I had about a zillion other things to do, I decided to them in the slow cooker, and not only in the slow cooker, but overnight in the slow cooker! Genius! My only complaint is the aroma, your house will smell so good, it’s hard to sleep. I think I dreamed of pot roast!

Bones

This was so easy. I browned the meat and veggies right after dinner, dumped everything in the slow cooker and then in the morning just strained and admired!!! I know I should have cut the bones up a little more for more flavor, but I was too lazy. This recipe comes from Not Your Mother’s Slow Cooker Cookbook by Beth Hensperger and Julie Kaufmann.

Beef Broth

4 pounds raw meaty beef bones
2 medium-size yellow onions, quartered
2 medium-size carrots, cut into chunks
4 stalks celery with leaves, cut into chunks
1/4 bunch fresh flat leaf parsley
1 bay leaf, broken in half
4 cloves
10 black peppercorns
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons tomato paste
10 cups cold water

Preheat the oven to 450. Put the bones, onions, and carrots in a roasting pan and roast for 30 minutes, turning once.

Meanwhile, combine the celery, herbs and spices, wine, tomato paste, and 8 cups of water in the slow cooker. Turn on HIGH for about an hour until hot.

Add the bones, onions, and carrots to the slow cooker. Poor off the fat and add the remaining 2 cups of water to the roasting pan to scrape up any tasty brown bits. Add to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 10-16 hours. If the water cooks down below the level of the ingredients, top off with some boiling water (mine didn’t).

Uncover and let cool to lukewarm. Set a large colander lined with a double layer of cheesecloth or use a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl. Pour the broth through the strainer and press on any vegetables to get as much juice as possible. Discard the solids. Refrigerate.

This broth will keep for 2-3 days in the refrigerator, or store in the freezer.

Comments

Wow. That’s ambitious. Are you sure you sleep? I’m back to work after a long break also. I’m thinkin it’s going to be a long week. Oh, and the answer to your question: I want to teach life skills to an older audience. I know that’s pretty broad. I’m still working on specifics. Happy first week back to work. Blessings, Susan

Man that is fantastic and I bet it’s the best beef stock around. Ok, I have to ask the dumb question, did you only take the bones with your side of beef or all of them?

Wow, how wonderful that he gave you a cooler load of bones! Great idea to make then overnight. I make a lot of chicken stock, but not much beef. I don’t know why, really, because we love beef broth. Not just to cook with, but also to drink on cold days. YUM!

Oh, I’d have been dreaming of pot roast, all right. Over the kids’ college break, I’ve been making a loaf of English Muffin Bread every morning in the bread machine, using the delayed timer, and I always wake up drooling. Maybe it’s time for me to call the farmer and see if I can get me a side of beef, too!

Wow! A slow cooker, overnight? What a fantastic idea!

By the way – what kind of slow cooker do you have? I’ve heard stories about how the meat or etc. tends to stick to the bottom of the slow cooker and then become scorched… sending the wonderful and incredibly penetrative scent of burnt food all throughout the house.

You are such a lucky girl! Someday I hope to have the space for a side of beef (Nebraska has some great beef!) and when I do… I’ll be making my own beef stock fer sure!!!! =-) In the mean time I will live vicariously through lucky you! =-)

That beef stock sounds amazing…I’ve never thought to make my own! You’ve inspired me! :) Hope you had a great New Years!

Gosh, I have a lot to learn about what my slow cooker can do! I’m fairly new to the slow cooker, but I love the idea of making overnight stock. And I really love the idea of waking up with a feeling of accomplishment because I’ve been cooking and sleeping at the same time!

Jeez, if only I had a bag-o-bones handy.

The after the holiday doldrums, back-to-work blues are a tad annoying. However, you kept yourself bizzy and productive! Doesn’t that chase away those blue doldrums?

I think you’re more ambitious than I am though, I usually just opt for some ‘light therapy’ also known as a tanning bed!

10. Pam says

Ace C – thank you.

Susan – Happy back to work to you too!

Katherine – you know, I took them all. I have about 5 more bags of bones in my freezer!

Terri – I’m sure you could!

Paula – I think it’s much harder to find good beef broth at the store, so I’m glad I got all of those bones!

Marjie – I love making bread with my timer! There is nothing like waking up to the smell of fresh bread.

Tracie – thank you!

Pearl – I have a Kitchenaid, which doesn’t seem to run as hot as others that I’ve had. I especially like the simmer setting.

Joan – I have filled up every inch of my freezer. Literally!

Andrea – you’ll have to let me know if you make some!

drooll..was a good weekend because I made beef stock also. Such a beautiful smell that fills the house.

Another lazy trick I have found is set the oven to 190 and after the stock is simmering throw it in the oven for the time.

Stock looks amazing!