Pork Chops with Cinnamon Apples

Pork Chops

One of the hardest parts of menu planning for me is choosing the side dishes. I think that sometimes I spend even longer trying to decide what to serve with something then I do on picking the main dish! There are so many choices: veggies, pasta, grains, beans, all in endless combinations. If I have a complicated main dish, then I want simple sides and complicated sides call for a simple main dish. See…it makes my head hurt just thinking about it. So, I really love it when a cookbook puts together a menu for me or at least makes a suggestion as to what to serve with something. That’s why I like the Dinner Tonight menus from Cooking Light. They are usually quick and easy and they are all thought out for me.

One of my favorites is Pork Loin Chops with Cinnamon Apples. They suggest serving it with buttered poppy seed noodles and peas, which, of course, I do. Now this isn’t earth shatteringly fantastic, but it’s good and comforting. Pork chops, apples, cinnamon, buttered noodles, and peas…it’s like a hug from your grandma.

Pork Loin Chops with Cinnamon Apples
Serves 4

1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 (4-ounce) boneless center-cut loin pork chops (about 1/2 inch thick)
1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
Cooking spray
1 teaspoon butter
4 cups (1/2-inch) slices peeled Granny Smith apples (about 4 medium)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Dash of salt

Combine first 3 ingredients, and sprinkle over the pork. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add pork; cook 3 minutes on each side or until done. Remove the pork from pan. Cover and keep warm.

Melt butter in pan over medium heat. Add apples and remaining ingredients, and cook 5minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Serve the apples with pork.

Comments

This recipe sounds delicious! I’m curious tho….I saw the list of books you read in 2008, plus you teach, plus you blog, plus you cook: do you ever sleep? Blessings, Susan

Apples are always right with pork, aren’t they? Baked, broiled, applesauce, always right. Great choice for a side dish.

Happy New Year, Pam!

oh yum that sounds so good. I started making a turkey soup this afternoon but I never finished. I’m sure the turkey and broth will be plenty cooled off by now…

Oh! Oh, I get Cooking Light too! I love the simplicity of it all.. I just wish that my kids would eat something other than Scooby Doo Mac and Cheese. Evidently it is more al dente or something… who knew?

Yummmmm, this looks and sounds so good!
    I’m about beaned and greened out from New Years, so I might just check into making this tommorrow night. :o)
    The picture had my mouth watering…mmmm mmmm mmmm !

“like a hug from your grandma”?
    that’s hilarious, because this is exactly something she would serve. pork and apples are wonderful mates, and you know i love that cinnamon! :)

Wow, it does look great! I always seem to overcook pork so it ends up tough. I’ll give your recipe a try.
    Another recipe mag we like is Cuisine at Home. Found some tasty ones in there.

As delicious as that recipe sounds your picture is even better. Fantastic photo! I’ve tried taking pictures of my cooked items and they never look so eye-popping good. Hats off to the chef.

9. Pam says

Susan – a lot of my books are read over the summer!

Marjie – Happy New year!

Queenie – if Peter Brady says it, it must be right!

love – Thank you!

Tracie – Happy New Year to you too!

Staci – thank you!

Hip chick – I have a turkey carcass in my freezer, I need to get busy on some turkey soup.

Noble – classics are always good!

Chelle – I love Cooking Light, the website and forum are great!

Tater – I know, I had the last of my blackeyes and greens tonight!

Natalie – thank you, I hope you come by again!

Grace – I know, anything with peas sounds like granny food to me.

Shabby – I love Cuisine at Home. Have you tried their tortilla chip chicken?

Book – I did it for about 3-4 minutes. They were boneless chops and not very thick.

This recipe looks absolutely delicious! I’d love to try this. I understand about the side dish problem. I’m making Asiago chicken and was killing my brain for a side dish and when I read this post it hit me! Fried Apples! Simply great with chicken. Thanks for the inspiration! Love your blog!

I love buttered poppyseed noodles. I have to make some soon. Thanks for the reminder.

Last Rosh Hashanah I made some apples to go with petrale sole, foods sweetened with honey to symbolize sweetness in the New Year.

Happy New Year Pam! May it be sweet!
    LL