Roasted Root Vegetables with Honey, Balsamic Vinegar and Fresh Goat Cheese

Roasted Root Vegetables

We all know that roasted vegetables are great. The heat of the oven seems to concentrate the flavors and add some of the fabulous carmelization that we all love so much. About the only vegetable that I don’t like roasted is broccoli. So, when I saw Tyler’s recipe for Roasted Root Vegetables with Honey, Balsamic Vinegar and Fresh Goat Cheese in Tyler’s Ultimate: Brilliant Simple Food to Make Any Time I knew that I would be making it. What I didn’t know, was how wonderful it was going to be. The vegetables were glazed and sweet. That sweet candylike flavor was offset by the creamy tanginess of the goat cheese. Roasted root vegetables + tangy goat cheese = match made in heaven. Really, seriously, good.

Roasted Root Vegetables with Honey, Balsamic Vinegar, and Fresh Goat Cheese
Serves 4

1/2 pound of carrots, peeled and left whole (I chunked mine)
1/2 pound medium beets, peeled and quartered
1/2 pound medium turnips, peeled and halved
1/2 pound medium parsnips, peeled and left whole (some I cut into chunks)
3 shallots, unpeeled cut in half through the stem end (next time I’m going to use red onions because I love the flavor of them roasted)
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
4 ounces chilled fresh goat cheese

Preheat the oven to 350. Toss the vegetables with the olive oil and salt and pepper in a big bowl (I just did it on the baking sheet, which I also lined with aluminum foil to help with cleanup). Dump them out onto a baking sheet in a single layer and roast for 25 minutes. Whisk together the honey and vinegar in a small bowl. Take the vegetables out of the oven, pour the vinegar-hone mixture over, and toss. Return the pan to the oven and cook until for tender and caramelized, about 20 more minutes. Top with pieces of goat cheese.

This will be my entry for this week’s Tyler Florence Fridays. Be sure and check out the round up on Friday, you will want to try each and every recipe, I guarantee it!

Comments

I also love the combination of sweet and tangy, especially on root vegetables. And pork chops. I also just really like root vegetables. In short, this looks delicious.

These two last recipes look so good! Not that the other ones don’t, but these I can make and eat (vegetarian but will eat fish). I love goats cheese! I have a recipe for oniontart with goats cheese that I could eat every day! Yummy.
    Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for this recipe, I plan to try it. I’ve been wanting to get more veggies in especially while pregnant, and this is right up my alley! Though I am skeptical about the beets….how do roasted beets vary from canned beets? I can’t stand canned beets.

Mmmmm … this sounds terrific! My oldest girl loves goat cheese … maybe this will get her to eat her roasted veggies! :-)

Ah, ah, ah.

I came over today to get yesterday’s recipe with shrimp, garlic, bread crumbs and pasta because I have a freezer full of large shrimp waiting for me to take notice of them. Then I saw this. I bought a bunch of root vegetables the other day, just so I could roast them. Are you reading my grocery list?

My kids only eat their vegetables if I roast them, and roasted broccoli is a big favorite! It looks delicious, and next time I’m adding goat cheese to mine, just because I love it so much!

That does look really, seriously good. I love roasted vegetables — they caramelize on their own — and the goat cheese would provide such nice balance. And with the cheese, I could probably make this into a main dish.

I have quite often done roasted veg with goats cheese and we love it. but last night I did this recipe with the honey and balsamic and it was sooooo much better. I really enjoyed the slightly burned bits on the bottom of the roasting tray too. I use a non-stick liner for this sort of thing, how about you?
    Alex