Tyler Florence – Oven Fries

Oven Fries

I make oven fries all the time. I never make real fried fries, even though I love them. It’s not just for health reasons, but really mainly because I don’t want the mess (same reason I don’t fry chicken). So, I allow others to fry my fries and my chicken, it’s easy oven roasted for me. When I saw Tyler’s Oven Fries in Tyler’s Ultimate: Brilliant Simple Food to Make Any Time they looked perfect. I usually just roast oven fries with a little olive oil and salt and pepper, so this is kicked up a notch for me. They were very good, they stuck to my pan though. Next time I will toss them in the pan with the olive oil, that seems to help coat my pan better and keep things from sticking.

Tyler’s Ultimate Oven Fries
Serves 4

2 russet potatoes, cut in half lengthwise, halves cut lenghtwise into fourths to make 16 big fat wedges (if you’re like me, you’ll have to read this about 2-3 times to figure it out)
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Preheat the oven to 425. Toss the potatoes with the olive oil and salt in a large bow, then dump the potatoes onto the baking sheet. Spread them out in a single layer. Roast for 30-35 minutes, until the potatoes are cooked through, brown and crispy. Toss them in a big bowl with the cheese and parsley and serve hot.

This will be my entry for this week’s Tyler Florence Fridays. If you’ve been wanting to try some Tyler recipes be sure and check it out, or even better make something of Tyler’s, post it and join us!

Comments

I make roasted potatoes very similar to this but not tossed in parm. You have broadened my horizons; I can’t wait to try these. The parm puts these potatoes way over the top.

Sevier was closed due to rain yesterday. Pigeon Forge had some flooding, but we were high and dry.

Those look absolutely delicious! I’ve got to try them. I usually roast new potatoes w/olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and a rosemary herb mixture. YUMMY! So these will be a great change. Thanks. Blessings, Susan

Hi Pam,
    Thanks for the welcome message! Your blog has inspired quite a few recipes in my kitchen. I am an oven-fry lover as well…they are also really good mixed with cumin – it infuses them with with this smoky southwestern taste. In any case, your fries look fantastic!
    Joanne

They look great! I love the flavours too.
    I put a piece of parchment down on my baking sheet before doing my fries or any other thing like that. It is the only way I can keep them from sticking – bonus – less trouble cleaning the pan, too.

As soon as I saw the photo, I knew this was going to be great. Then when I read the instructions to “Toss them in a big bowl with the cheese and parsley and serve hot”, well, let me tell you that I just about swooned. YUM!

We are also “oven-fryers”. They are just better! This is what we do:

Red potatoes, cut (or a combo of red, white, & purple)
    Olive oil
    Italian seasoning, to taste
    1 Tbs Montreal seasoning

Place cut potatoes in plastic bag. Drizzle with olive oil. Add seasonings, shake it up, and place on cookie sheet. Cook in 450* oven for 25 minutes, turning once.
    Mmmmmm!

Are you still crazy with rain?

I love these fries. I’ve been making them for a while now, I nearly always have parm and parsley on hand, as well as potatoes. I usually use the smaller new potatoes though, as that’s what I most often cook with. They work just as well. :)

Your oven fries look so tasty. Having lived in England for the past 15yrs I have become addicted to chips or fries.

I need to write down the recipe and will definitely try it .

if you keep this up, i’m gonna change my opinion of frat-boy tyler! i love roasted taters, and this looks to be a supreme version.

I’m another who always roasts potatoes with olive oil and rosemary. This looks like a great new way to enjoy potatoes. Yum!!
    Nancy

A great TFF pick–your fries look incredible. Love the cheese idea and the fact that they are oven baked.

BTW: Congrats on winning the Tyler cookbook, I’ll be getting it sent out in the next day or two.

Aloha,