Apple Tarte Tatin with Red Wine Caramel and Fresh Thyme

Tarte Tatin

Once again, I turned to the dessert section for this week’s Tyler Florence selection. I didn’t have far to go, just a few pages past last week’s Ginger Cake, I found Apple tarte Tatin with Red Wine Caramel and Fresh Thyme in Tyler Florence’s Real Kitchen: An Indispensable Guide for Anybody Who Likes to Cook.

Out of the oven

What can I say about this…it was the most ultimate apple pie. An apple pie for grown-ups, if you will. The red wine caramel sauce is unbelievable. Really. I have no words to describe it.

Tarte Tatin

The only thing that I might do differently is just use one sheet of puff pastry. Tyler says to overlap them, but they overlapped by about 99 percent! Really one sheet practically covered my whole skillet, and I’m not sure if a double layer of puff pastry is really necessary. Because this dish is really about the lovely apples and the incredible sauce.

Apple Tarte Tatin with Red Wine Caramel and Fresh Thyme
Serves 8 to 10

4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup red wine (I used a malbec)
1/2 vanilla bean, split and scraped (I used 1 teaspoon extract)
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
7 Granny Smith apples, peeled, halved, and cored
2 sheets puff pastry, 1 box – about 1 pound
Leaves from 2 fresh thyme sprigs for garnish (I forgot!)

Preheat the oven to 350. Place the butter and sugar in a small pot and cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until the sugar has melted and caramelized, about 8 minutes. Remove the pot form the burner and add the cream. It will bubble and spit, so be careful. When the sauce has calmed down return to the flame and add the wine slowly while continually stirring. Add the vanilla scrapings and lemon juice.

Add half the red wine caramel sauce to a 10-inch cast-iron or regular ovenproof skillet. Place the apple halves, cut side up, making sure the apples are snug. Cover the top of the pan completely with puff pastry by overlapping the two sheets. Snip off the extra dough with scissors to create a circle that just fits inside the pan. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the puff pastry has risen and is golden brown.

Let the tarte rest in the pan for 15 minutes; then place your serving platter on top of the pan, and carefully flip it over. Lift the pan aways from the tarte; the beautiful apples will now be on top. Decorate the dessert plates with the remaining sauce, add a slice of the tarte, and garnish with the thyme.

This will be my entry for this week’s Tyler Florence Fridays!

Comments

It’s nice to know that Tyler is good for something other than just meat and potatoes! I like my men to be multi-functional :P.

This looks incredible, and love your description of how it tastes. I’ve made tart tatin before, but never with the additions of red wine and thyme. How is the thyme flavor with the sweet apples and pastry?

Yum! It looks fab.! So, how do you photograph food? Evidently there is a talent for it because my photo’s of food just look like icky blobs. I tried all angles and it just isn’t looking good.
    Anyhow, I’ll have to try this recipe too. I’m going to make the sausage-stuffed Portobellos this weekend. But not so sure I’ll photograph it. I’m afraid mine won’t turn out looking as fab as yours… =-0

4. Pam says

Terri – I’m with you on the chocolate, but for a non chocolate dessert, this will do nicely.

Joanne – me too!

Love – I’d like to try a tart tatin withouth the wine and see what it’s like. I forgot the thyme!

Joan – thank you, you are so sweet. I take a ton of pictures, you just happen to see the one out of million that turns out.

Alisa – it really is deep and rich.

Pam – thank you!

Zita – it probably was, too bad I forgot!

Chriesi – it is!

Oh Lord! We had the Sausage-Stuffed Portobellos with Spinach
    tonight for dinner. WE LOVED IT!!! Hubby is still talking about it!
    What do you think of adding pinenuts? And maybe toasting the breadcrumbs? The sausage we used didn’t have fennel or anise flavor to it. I would have liked that too!
    This is a winner, for sure!
    Thank you!
    Next we’ll have to try this Apple Tarte!

for heaven’s sake, pam–you’re killing me here! i thought i knew the ins and outs of every apple dessert out there, but i guess i don’t. this looks sensational.

This looks amazing. I’m always on the lookout for good fruit and non chocolate desserts. Herbs are so good with sweets; I’ll bet you like it in this recipe next time (thyme? ha ha)
    Nancy

8. Pam says

Marjie – yes, but I’m still intrigued enough to try and remember next time!

Lori Lynn – let me know if you try it.

Tracy – thank you! And thanks for stopping by!

Shabby – I’m so glad you liked it!!

Jin Hooi – let me know if you try it!

Grace – If you like apple desserts, then you absolutely have to try this!

Natashya – Tyer hasn’t disappointed me yet.

Peter – thank you!

Deb – you should try it!

Leanne – thank you!

N.O.E. – I appreciate a little herb humor!

Michelle – I’ve never tried tarragon with apples. I’ll have to give it a go.

Karen – it was interesting.

Kevin – the wine really made it special.

Jenny – I wouldn’t have either.