Berry-Brioche Bread Pudding with Lemon Fondant

Bread Pudding

Well, this is my third dessert from Tyler Florence, and I have to say that he is batting a hundred, or batting a thousand, or whatever it is you bat when you are really, really good. Because this was…really, really good.

Bread Pudding

I bought a bag of organic frozen mixed berries from my grocery store because they were on sale. I had no idea what to do with them, but I’d been reading about all the great antioxidant properties of berries. When I saw this recipe, I thought, well why not??

Bread Pudding

I didn’t have any Brioche, which to my understanding, is a rich, buttery bread. What I did have was some already stale cubed bread in my freezer. Anytime I have a loaf of bread that is not going to get used up before it gets moldy, I cube it and toss it in a bag in my freezer. I then pull them out to make fresh bread crumbs, or croutons for a salad, or bread pudding like this!

The combination of the sweet berries and the eggy bread pudding and the sweet, but tart lemon fondant sauce is to-die-for. Lovely! The recipe is also listed on the Food Network website, but it’s slightly different. I am using the version from Tyler Florence: Stirring the Pot.

Berry-Brioche Bread Pudding with Lemon Fondant
Serves 6 – 8

6 eggs, plus 2 egg yolks
3/4 cup whole milk
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
3/4 cup granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1 12-14 oz loaf brioche (see my note above)
2 cups mixed berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries)
1 recipe lemon fondant (see recipe, below)

In a large bowl whisk together the eggs and egg yolks, the milk, cream, 3/4 cup sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest. Tear the brioche into large pieces; layer with the mixed berries in a deep 9-inch pie dish. Pour the egg mixture over the top and press down gently on top with the flat side of the spoon so that bread soaks up the liquid. Set in the refrigerator for 10 to 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350. Sprinkle the bread pudding liberally with granulated sugar. Bake in the middle of the oven for 40 to 45 minutes, until pudding has puffed up slightly and the custard has set. (If it gets too brown on the top, tent it with foil while baking.) Serve warm bread pudding with a drizzle of Lemon Fondant.

Lemon Fondant – Thoroughly combine 2 cups confectioner’s sugar, the juice of 2 lemons, and 2 teaspoons lemon zest in a bowl. (If necessary, add a splash of water to achieve a drizzling consistency.)

This will be my entry for this week’s Tyler Florence Fridays! Be sure and look for the round up sometime Friday afternoon!

Comments

Oh my! You make the best looking food. Can I come to your house for lessons? Or just to snack and visit over a cup of coffee or hot tea? lol Blessings, Susan

I’ve always tried not to reduce food waste, but never think enough about freezing. Cutting up the last 2/3 of a loaf of good bread and freezing is a great idea and I’m glad you thought/ reminded me of it!

Oh, oh, oh…that is making my mouth water. There is nothing like the combination of berries and lemon.
    I think I’m going to make this over the weekend.
    I’m going to be dreaming about it until then.

Mmm…mmm…mmm…this is actually making my stomach growl! Definitely will try this one; brioche tends to be hard to find in our grocery stores, but I wonder if Portuguese Bread, which is usually available here, might have that similar eggy quality?

Oh my god, that looks SO good! You post some of the best recipes.

Haha- I think it’s “batting a thousand,” because I tried to say “batting a hundred” last night and it didn’t sound right. But then again, what do I know about sports? lol.

That is one gorgeous dessert. I really like bread pudding but with lemon and berries? I hadn’t thought of that. Sounds great! And I have a bag of frozen berries I wasn’t sure what to do with too…until now.

7. Scandi says

I just came upon your blog while searching for recipes/tips to use in my new zoji bread machine & recommended bread machine books. Lovely site. Bookmarked.
    Looking at food/cooking sites on an empty stomach is almost as dangerous as grocery shopping!
    A couple of posts back I was oohing & aahing over Smudge the cat. He is absolutely gorgeous. What breed is he or is he a combo type? I’m a pushover for long haired cats.

8. Pam says

Susan – sure come on over.

Joanne – I know, I really like them too.

Antoinette – After throwing away to many moldy half eaten loaves of bread, it finally came to me.

Hip – I know, berries plus lemon equals perfection.

Love – I just used whatever bread I had, probably a baguette.

Ley – thank you. Yes, I know even less about sports.

Lisa – give it a try and let me know how you like it!

Alisa – it is perfect for leftover bread.

Scandi – don’t you love your zo! I adore my bread machine. I’m not sure what Smudge is. We think he maybe part Ragdoll, but he was a stray so we can’t be sure.

Oh good Lord! Could I ever go for a dish of that right now!!! Maybe I’ll surprise Hubby with some of that this weekend!
    Thank you so much for sharing your good finds!

Okay, I like this post on a couple different levels. First, the bread pudding is just amazing. I bet it tasted great. Next, I love your tip about cubing/freezing bread! I don’t utilize my freezer very well at all, so tips like this are so helpful to those like myself who are freezer challenged. Great post!

Looks absolutely delicious!! I made this recipe too this week and it is soooooo good!! I used a bag of frozen berries too. I think this makes it a very economical dish. This is a make again recipe for sure!!

I’ve just started baking my own brioche so we’ve been having brioche every which way. This morning we had bread pudding with caramelised apples. We’ll be having berry-brioche next week :)

I brought this for dessert when we went to lunch with friends this afternoon – it was a huge hit (still warm from the oven), and everyone had seconds. Thanks for the great recipe :)

After your comment on my bread pudding post, I had to search yours out! Great idea about keeping the cubes of bread. I usually run my bread through the food processor and make seasoned bread crumbs then freeze them. But now I’ll do cubes too! And I’ll try this recipe; would suit us both and stretch the bread pudding season into warmer weather!
    Nancy