Cilantro Salsa

Cilantro Salsa

I feel really sorry for you people that don’t like cilantro. I remember the first time I tried it, several years ago, I thought it was horrible. I got the whole “soap flavor”, really, it tasted like dishwashing liquid. I couldn’t understand the attraction. But then something happened, the next time I tried it, I loved it. Isn’t that weird? What I’m saying is if you don’t like it now, don’t give up, try it again sometime. Now, this doesn’t work with everything…lima beans…still bad, they will always be bad. So, if you don’t like lima beans, I give you permission to never let those fat, weirdly flat beans cross your lips again.

Back to cilantro. The love of my life. I always have cilantro in my fridge. I don’t always have tomatoes or tomatillos, so my quick and easy go-to salsa is a simple cilantro salsa. I used a recipe from The Best Recipes in the World by Mark Bittman, which I modified to not use ginger (he does).

Cilantro Salsa
makes 1 cup

1 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
2 garlic cloves, peeled and lightly smashed
1 jalapeno chile, stemmed, seeded and roughly chopped
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
salt and black pepper
2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice (I just used the juice from one lime)

Combine the cilantro, garlic, chile, and oil in a blender or food processor. Puree. Add more oil if necessary to make a smooth paste.

Spoon into a bowl and stir in the lime juice. Add salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until use (keeps for about a day in the fridge).

Weekend Herb Blogging

This will be my entry for this week’s Weekend Herb Blogging which is hosted by Susan from The Well-Seasoned Cook.

Comments

I love cilantro! Regarding the cilantro you keep in the refrigerator, do you grow cilantro year-round in your garden, freeze it, buy routinely at the grocery store, what? There must be a secret to keeping cilantro fresh that I don’t know. I doubt you use a paste but I wouldn’t think less of you:-)

Life would be meaningless without cilantro!

Okay, an exaggeration. But it tells you how much I love cilantro. I use it almost on a daily basis. And if I eat something particularly garlicky, I chew on cilantro leaves to tone done the garlic breath :-)

There was just an article in the Wall Street Journal last week about cilantro. Front page and everything! Some folks love it and some hate it. Who knows!

I’m with you Pam, cilantro is one of my loves. I like this salsa it’s so different. I would have been scared to add the ginger.

Yours is lima beans, mine is beets – sorry Natashya.

Cilantro makes me wanna gag … literally. It really does taste like soap. I understand that so many of you love it, but I wish there would always be salsa with a no-cilantro alternative. The newest thing that someone told me is that some smart people think a dislike of cilantro is genetic.

I like cilantro but I don’t love it. We’re on good terms though.

I thought I didn’t like brussel sprouts due to how they tasted during childhood. Well, I made Ina Garten’s super easy roasted brussel srouts and I’m a convert. Yum.

I with ya all the way about lima beans. They’re no good.

Ooh, I love cilantro (although my husband and daughters have that soapsuds thing). I used to despise limas but now I love them too – so you might like them some day! This salsa looks delish.
    Nancy

8. Pam says

Joanne – it would be great on sandwiches!

Natashya – lima beans – always bad.

Judi -I buy it routinely. As soon as I get it home, I wash it, spin it dry, wrap it in a paper towel and store it in a ziplock bag, it keeps for about 2 weeks like that.

Terri – I wish I could grow it, it seems to go to seed on me.

dp – I’m with you, I love it.

Paula – an ode to cilantro!

Debbie – I buy it as soon as I run out.

Pam – it’s mine too, or at least tied with basil.

Marjie – it’s fascinating, isn’t it.

ts – everyone needs to be converted.

Katherine – I love beets!

Leanne – I’m glad I’m not the only one who grew to love it.

Doris – it does seem to be either love/hate, no middle ground.

Tins – try it and let me know what you think.

Susan – I know, you can see the bowl is almost empty.

Grace – everything is better with cilantro.

Mary – oh yes!

Noble – I almost forgot to save some for the picture.

Sherry – I’m kind of iffy on brussels sprouts, I’ll have to give that a try.

Katie – try once more.

Kevin – I’m sure you’ll kick it up a couple of notches.

n.o.e. – well, I’m not going to hold my breath on the whole lima beans thing.