Penne with Wilted Arugula and Salami

Pasta with Salami

Do you ever buy something and have absolutely no idea what you plan to do with it? I rarely do, because I am a big-time planner. I have to know what I’m going to make for dinner the whole week, or I sit and fret about it during the day, when I should be sitting and fretting about how to make my students do their work. I have plenty of normal everyday fretting to do without adding dinner to the mix. So, when I was lured into buying some salami, it sat, and sat, and sat in my fridge. Finally, it was nearing it’s expiration date, so I sat down to gather ideas.

In serendipitous fashion the first book I looked through was Off The Shelf: Cooking From the Pantryby Donna Hay. I have already spread the love about this book, so I’ll spare you any more gushing.

And to what to my wandering eyes should appear?? A recipe for Penne with Wilted Rocket (Arugula) and Salami. So, I added arugula to the grocery list, and a quick, weeknight dinner was planned. Mission accomplished. This was good, and oh-so-easy. The crisp salami married well with the bitter arugula and the creamy tang of the goat cheese.

Penne with Wilted Arugula and Salami
Serves 4

14 oz Penne
10 oz sliced salami (or chorizo)
2 tablespoons salted capers, rinsed
2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
7 oz arugula, stems removed and leaves halved
7 oz goat cheese, sliced
Fresh ground black pepper

Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling, salted water per directions on package and drain.

While the pasta is cooking, heat a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the salami and cook for about 4 minutes until crisp (stirring). Add the capers and the garlic and cook until fragrant about a minute. Add the arugula and toss until it just wilts, then remove from the heat. Toss the salami mixture with the pasta. Serve, topped with the goats cheese and fresh black pepper.

PPN

This will be my entry for this week’s Presto Pasta Nights, hosted by Theresa at Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine.

Comments

The crisp salami looks SOOO good. It reminds me of how it gets on homemade salami/pepperoni pizza. That texture and the oily/salty juices are the best!

I’m with you–I need a food plan for the week or I am unsettled and reluctant to go grocery shopping (which certainly doesn’t help, lol). This looks like a fantastic dish that never would have crossed my mind. I only think of salami on top of pizza or in a sandwich…which is probably for the better or I’d be eating the stuff all the time!

I like to plan, too. Although I admit that I sometimes rearrange what I’ve planned based on my energy (or lack there of) level! Love this dish. We go through copious quantities of salami in my house … sandwiches, salads, pasta, etc. That arugula and goat cheese really appeal to me here. YUM! PS: Your close up photos always amaze me. I love how you composed today’s shot.

Unfortunately, I seem to be the only one that tends to “wing” it most days. I think because of our days of being ~oh so poor~ early in our marriage, I tend to have nearly everything I could ever possibly need, in my pantry, fridge or freezer! I like the thought of being able to go and make what I want when I want it. So, that being said, the pasta dish looks yummy! Not sure of the goat cheese. Not always in the mood for that “tang” but, it’s appealing to me at the moment and I’ve got everything I need already in my house! =-)

i’m big on planning too, but every so often i’ll get something on a whim. i really, really like what you’ve done here. you should eschew planning more often! :)

I never seem to plan more than a day ahead, and usually don’t figure out what I’m making for dinner until the morning. When I lived in the city, I was very spoiled by having a greengrocer and fishmonger just a block away, and I could shop every day for just what I needed. Now that I live 5 miles from the nearest market, I rely more on the pantry for inspiration. But I’m still a last-minute kind of cook.