Spaghetti Carbonara

Spaghetti Carbonara

Sometimes you just gotta have a little bacon. And sometimes you just gotta have a little eggs with that bacon. And sometimes you want some pasta with that bacon and eggs. Thank goodness someone many moons ago came up with Spaghetti Carbonara. What’s not to love: pasta, bacon, eggs, and cheese. I don’t have it often (for obvious reasons), but when I do, it’s a little bit of love right on my plate.

You don’t even really need a recipe for this, but to make sure I kept my proportions in check (bacon makes me slightly crazy), I turned to The Best Recipes in the Worldfrom Mark Bittman.

Spaghetti Carbonara
Serves 4

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup minced bacon
1 pound linguini
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 eggs

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add salt. In a small saucepan, combine the oil and the bacon and turn the heat to medium. Cook until the bacon is nicely browned about 10 minutes. Turn off the heat.

Cook the pasta in the boiling water until tender, per package directions. Reserve about a cup of the pasta water before draining.

In a warmed large bowl (I just sat mine by the pasta pot) beat 3 eggs. Add the Parmesan cheese and the bacon and it’s juices. Toss the still hot, drained pasta and toss with the egg mixture. Add a little of the reserved cooking water if the pasta seems too dry.

Serve with freshly ground black pepper and a little extra Parmesan cheese.

PPN

This classic dish will be my entry for this week’s Presto Pasta Nights, which just had their 100th post celebration! It is hosted by Wiffy at Noob Cook.

Comments

This is such a traditional dish and yet…I’ve never had it (she says as the 100% Italian in her hides in shame). My parents were not very adventurous cooks and so there are many dishes that I am still introducing them to today! This is on my to-make list for 2009, though. Thanks for sharing the Mark Bittman version!

I love a classic carbonara. And Bittman is a perfect person to turn to in order to double check proportions. This looks great!
    Nancy

3. Pam says

Andrea – I think it’s my favorite too!

Joanne – You must try it! Let me know how you like it!

Terri – this was not to eggy at all.

Alisa – let me know if you like it!

Noble – I know no restraint when it comes to bacon.

Marjie – butter is always good!

Donna – there’s only one way to cure that ache!

Nancy – Bittman is always my source for simple classics.

Tater – ahhh, a fellow bacon lover!

whaddya mean, “sometimes”? :)
    beautiful dish, pam. this is a favorite restaurant dish that i’m ashamed to say i’ve never even made for myself.

Of course I love this. Bacon, eggs, pasta … life is good. I’ve just got to say, too, that your food photography is amazing. :-)

I love your receipes, I love your pictures… one day I swear reading your blog is going to make me lick my monitor!

As a fellow foodie I salute you across cyber-space!

Now I must go buy some sausage for your stuffed portabello’s…

I love this dish for it’s simplicity and incredible flavor. I think people generally think it’s so complicated, thanks for reminding us of just how easy it is! I wanted to note that you can actually skip the step of combining the bacon and the egg. Just add the bacon portion directly to the pasta, toss to coat and then add the egg separately…it tastes the same. Also I like to saute a small onion before I toss in the bacon (guanciale or cheek meat is the traditional portion used in Italy) and a little white wine, just a good splash really,after you add the bacon, though I bet the recipe you posted is amazing as is!

Just made this for my family…love the simplicity of your recipe…Spaghetti Carbonara is one of my all-time favorites and this one was a big hit with my family…
    Thanks!

Thanks a lot.Spaghetti Carbonara is an interesting recipe. At last I have found something interesting and unique to serve to my guests during the holidays. I am sure that they’ll love this spaghetti Carbonara.