Lemon-Buttermilk Sherbet

Lemon-Buttermilk Sherbet

In honor of spring, I decided to pull out the trusty old KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker Attachment and the also always reliable Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accompaniments. Since this was purely spur of the moment and I didn’t feel like leaving the house, an ice cream made from pantry/fridge staples was called for.

Voilla! Lemon Buttermilk Sherbet. 5 ingredients and the hardest thing you have to do is grate some lemon zest and juice a few lemons. This was wonderful, light and refreshing. While I was eating this, I was paging through trying to decide what to make next. He has a whole section on accompaniments, which I haven’t even started on. He suggested pairing this with his Creamy Caramel Sauce, which I think would put it so ridiculously good and over the top that I can’t stop thinking about it. My next ice cream will have an accompaniment!

Lemon-Buttermilk Sherbet
Makes about 1 quart

1/3 cup water
2/3 cup sugar
1 medium lemon, preferably unsprayed
2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about 2 lemons)

In a medium saucepan combine the water and the sugar. Grate the lemon zest into the pan. Heat, stirring frequently, until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and let it come to room temperature, then place the syrup into the fridge until thoroughly chilled.

Whisk the buttermilk into the syrup and then whisk in the lemon juice. Freeze in an ice maker per instructions.

Eat and be happy.

Comments

My favorite flavor, besides chocolate, is lemon.

I made the pasta last night. Had to do a more low cal version, so I used fat free half and half and turkey italian sausage. Bob declared it a keeper!

Oooh, oooh, oooh! Do you think I could use buttermilk powder? I don’t know what kind of fat content your buttermilk has. I have heeded your words, and concluded that ice cream is always in season.

I am definitely dusting off my dasher and making this! I just have to stop and get some buttermilk. Keppe posting the sorbet recipes because I am lyaing off the ice cream.

Btw, stop by anytime, I’ll make sure I have fresh brownies for you – bring me pasta! = )

It looks refreshing. Your pictures always do.
    But I have a quick story. Keep in mind I was the last of 5 kids. The only girl. I watched my brothers drink out of the milk carton a bizillion times. One day, I thought I would be as cool as them. When nobody was looking, I opened the refrigerator door, took out the milk, and tipped the pointed opening to my mouth.
    Imagine my horror and, well, my horror at realizing it was the buttermilk (having never tasted buttermilk).
    No. Even today, I cannot even THINK about buttermilk…

Another lovely photo! And you have those little patterned glass bowls too? I’m not sure where mine came from but I think they are wonderful for so many things.

ah, refreshment. lemon desserts don’t usually appeal to me, but that’s not the case here. this’d put a smile right on my face. :)