Roasted Tenderloin of Beef with Roasted Tomatoes

Roasted Tenderloin of Beef

This is supposed to be Tyler Florence’s version of turf and surf. The turf is this lovely thick cut filet mignon steak and the surf is his ultimate spicy crab salad. Unfortunately, I can’t find lump crabmeat here, or when I do find it, it costs a fortune. So, turf with no surf. I imagine that the ultimate crab salad would have been delightful, but this steak was mighty fine without it.

This is pure genius. I would have never, ever thought of roasting the tomatoes with the beef. Or, of even serving roasted tomatoes with a steak, but this is why Tyler gets the big bucks and I am a lowly special ed teacher. I can’t step out of the meat and potatoes box without someone to hold my hand. Hold my hand, Tyler.

Roasted Tenderloin of Beef (without the Spicy Crab Salad)
Serves 4

4 center-cut beef tenderloin steaks, each about 2 inches thick (about 2 pounds total)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 pint vine-ripened red cherry tomatoes, washed and dried

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Put a cast iron or ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat and get it hot. Drizzle in a 2-count of oil. If you choose to tie the fillets, take a piece of butchers twine and wrap it around each fillet twice to form a nice round shape. This will help the meat retain its shape while cooking. Sprinkle the beef all over with salt and pepper and sear for about 3 minutes on each side, until well browned. Shove the beef to the side and add the tomatoes to the pan; drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and stir gently to coat. Now put the pan in the oven and roast until the beef is rare and the tomatoes burst, 7 to 8 minutes. (Add 2 more minutes for medium rare, 5 more minutes for medium.)

This tasty Tyler dish will be my entry for this week’s Tyler Florence Fridays.

Comments

Who needs crab when you’ve got tomatoes? Be careful when biting into those roasted tomatoes, though…. ouch!

You crack me up… hold my hand Tyler. Like that’s about stepping out of the meat and potatoes box. No fooling this educator, girlfriend. Another fine weekend recipe to try. Yummm.

Isn’t that what we all want, deep down, for Tyler to hold our hand? I don’t like crab, so quite frankly, I’m much happer with surf-less turf. And the tomatoes seem like a great addition!

I’ve never roasted the little tomatoes, because they won’t last the day to get into the roaster! Lump crabmeat here, on a cheap day, is $9 per pound. Ouch! Your dinner looks great without it. I hope Tyler keeps holding your hand.

oh wow! roasted tomatoes? LOL you are so funny, by the way. honey, i think if i were a seasoned chef, i’d still ask for tyler florence to hold my hand. :)

What a great photo!
    So glad it was a success, I love roasted tomatoes. Yum!
    …if Tyler’s holding your hand.. he still has one left for me!

With all due respect to Tyler, sometimes a great piece of beef just needs to be in the spotlight. Yours looks amazing!
    Nancy

I actually think the crab salad would make this less interesting. Roasting the tomatoes is a great way to concentrate the flavor and make them sweeter, which really improves our winter tomatoes here in the Northeast. Nicely done!

Mmmm, good! Gosh, I haven’t had beef tenderloin in ages! I really love roasted tomatoes, and I bet they are so good here. YUM! By the way, you are so NOT lowly! Tyler is good, but what you do far outshines his work! :-)

Beautiful! I have made a couple of his recipes where he calls for oven roasting the tomatoes and ! am always astounded at how good they are that way!

Ha ha ha! I laughed out loud at the part about holding hands.

Yes, Tyler gets the big bucks for looking like he does and showing us the path to culinary enlightenment!

i love roasted tomatoes. i’ve never paired them with steak before though. i smiled at the “hold my hand, tyler”. :)