Sauteed Swiss Chard

The lovely and talend Swiss Chard

I have to admit, I first bought Swiss chard because it was just so pretty. I mean look at it. It’s a work of art all wrapped up in a good-for-you green vegetable. Looking at it, cooking it, buying it, chopping it…it makes me happy every step of the way.

My favorite way (until now) to cook it was to heat up some olive oil, toss in some garlic and some red pepper flakes until fragrant. Add the Swiss chard and saute until tender. This makes a yummy dish. But I found something even yummier. When I saw this recipe in (yes, I know, not again) The Bon Appetit Cookbook: Fast Easy Fresh (I promise you, they are not paying me anything to constantly mention their cookbook, though if they were to offer me some money, I would gladly take it…hint..hint..nudge..nudge). It was my same method, only with half butter, half olive oil. Oh my. What can I say? This was wonderful. The butter added just a bit of creaminess and flavor. No use searching for any better sauteed Swiss chard recipe this is the best.

Sauteed Swiss Chard
Makes 4 servings

1 1/2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
Pinch of dried crushed red pepper
2 large bunches Swiss chard, stems trimmed, leaves cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-wide strips

Melt butter with oil in heavy large pot over medium-low heat. Add garlic and crushed red pepper. Sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add chard; stir to coat. Cover; cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Season to taste with salt. Transfer to bowl and serve.

You can also find the recipe online here: Sauteed Swiss Chard.

Comments

I’m not a fan of Swiss Chard, but I’m willing to give it a go. Love your blog! Cooking is my next favorite thing to do next to stitching!

I FINALLY bought the book and am actually going to be posting a recipe from it later this week – you’re right, it’s amazing. There are SO many recipes…its good to know this one is a winner. Who knew that such a tiny bit of butter could go such a long way?

I haven’t tasted or cooked Swissh Chard before. I’ve seen it done on TV, but after seeing your grogeous pictures, I am on a mission. This is too beautiful not to try.

I hope the grocery stores in Sevier or Knox counties are sophisticated enough to sell it ;-)

I too am anxious to try this after seeing your recipe and beautiful picture. Of course Hubby won’t try it, he doesn’t do veggies. Poor fool, it’s his loss.

I’ve never had Swiss Chard, but it’s really pretty. Makes me want to go hunt some down and cook it up! After all, I do love spinach!

I love swiss chard. I used to grow it in the garden and I always grew the kind with different colored stems. Red, green, purple, yellow. It’s so pretty. I think it’s way better than spinach. It doesn’t have that bitter taste.

We love Swiss chard in my house. I’m actually using it in a dish tonight, but would love to try a simple saute like this very soon. Beautiful photos Pam!

I’m a huge fan of Swiss Chard, but I admit that my love affair is only a couple of years old.

Thanks for sharing this tasty treat. And now I have a new book to check out too.

9. Pam says

Deb – give it a try, the butter really helps.

Joanne – I can’t wait to see what you make!

Katherine – sophisticated grocery stores in TN?

Pam – it really is.

Kathy – let me know if you like it.

Donna – sometimes simple is best.

Pearl – it is!

Staci – let me know if you do!

Noble – it is!

Marji – if you love spinach then you will love this too. Very similar.

Natashya – I’m finally getting some better light. Spring is my best time for light in my house.

Hip – I wish I had room for a garden.

Grace – butter pretty much helps everything.

Natalie – thanks for the compliment! I don’t think I’m qualified to give advice!

Melissa – thank you! How are you using it?

Ruth – you really do have to check the book out. It’s fantastic for quick and simple recipes.