Crispy Asian Chicken Salad

Crispy Asian Chicken Salad - Maybe a little too crispy

Do you wanna know what the problem with spring is? Two words…the weather.

When I was planning my menu for this week it was 74 degrees outside. The windows in the house were flung open and a soft breeze was ruffling my hair. Life was good. This Crispy Asian Chicken Salad sounded like a wonderful, light, healthy way to welcome spring.

Fast forward to today. It’s 38 degrees outside and the sky is spitting snowflakes. Not enough snow to close school, oh no, just enough to make the thought of a cool refreshing salad seem ever so wrong. But you know what, I hate change. I really do. This salad is what I planned for today, and that’s that.

It was wonderful. Really wonderful. I think there are all kinds of different ways you can use this. The chicken and the marinade could be used in any kind of Asian style chicken dish. And I discovered that raw zucchini is good! Much better than cooked zucchini. It’s creamy and bland and totally takes the flavor of the dressing. When I googled this recipe, I found a different version than the one in the book. I think I’ll try that one too!

Crispy Asian Chicken Salad
from
Tyler Florence: Stirring the Pot
Serves 2

Glaze
1 1/2 inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce

extra-virgin olive oil
1 large boneless chicken breast (skin on), halved (mine was skinless)

1 zucchini, sliced lengthwise
6 wonton wrappers, cut into strips, deep-fried, salted (I baked mine – and forgot about them – hence the brownness)
1/4 bunch fresh cilantro, for garnish

Preheat oven to 375. For the glaze, combine the ginger, sesame seeds, sesame oil, honey, and soy sauce in a small bowl and stir to mix. Set aside. (I set aside 1/2 and used the rest as a dressing, because there was plenty.)

In a large saute pan heat a 2-count of olive oil (about 2 tablespoons) over medium heat. Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Place the breasts, skin sides, down, in the pan and sear for 3 to 5 minutes,until golden. Turn the breasts over and, using a pastry brush, liberally brush the glaze on top of the skin. Place the whole pan in the preheated oven and roast for 7 to 10 minutes, until chicken juices run clear (180f). Baste with glaze throughout cooking so the breast remains moist and tender. Let chicken stand until ready to serve the salad, then slice chicken.

Arrange zucchini strips on the bottom of a plate and top with sliced chicken breast. Scatter crispy wonton strips on top and drizzle with pan juices. Garnish with cilantro.

This will be my entry for this week’s Tyler Florence Fridays. Be there or be square.

Comments

We just went through 2 days of morning freezes. Plants in, Plants out. Every year I have to reimind myself that the house plants stay in until May 1.
    Then there are those zealous gardeners who have to have the first tomato (not me.) So, I see lots of gardens that have the platic pots on and off. Spring weather is unpredictable forsure!!

Tell me about it, the weather is the bane of my existence. For example, yesterday it was 30 degrees and today it is 60…there is no logic to the system.

I would be plugging ahead with the recipes as well, and the chicken looks well worth it! Tyler does it again.

Happy to hear I am not the only one dealing with horrible weather that is unpredictable at best. What is worse is the office temperature can’t make up its mind. One day long sleeves I am dying of heat exhaustion and next day short sleeves I am hovered around my hot coffee like a bum in front of a fire.

This salad looks great and to me all weather approved.

you’re absolutely right – that chicken and marinade could be used in so many different dishes and take on a great number of roles – either as the main star or as a supporting player!

Who knew about raw zucchini??? I am going to have to give that a go. I grilled some last night and while I love the grilled taste, I am not fond of the mushy texture.

You know this sounds delightful in the spring or the snow. And the wonton strips look pretty tasty even if they were forgotten. I love raw zucchini. I have to try this one.

Spring weather can be unpredictable – especially in Oregon. I must say, I think this salad would be tasty in any weather. Excellent photo.

We’re just easing into Autumn here, but this sounds perfect for those *in-between* days too!

I bought skin-less chicken boobies last night, so I’m going to give this one a try!
    Plus, anything with zuchinni HAS to be good… right?

Man…does this look good!

We’ve had gorgeous sunny days but it’s so cold. Today I had on my winter coat and had to go get my gloves.

I’ve been eyeballing this recipe for awhile now. Your picture looks really good. I know exactly how you feel about the weather. My big issue is that you never know what to wear when spring rolls around.

This sounds wonderful – and I’m with you, what is with the weather this week? Last week it was beautiful, then it snowed and we had to haul out the boots again. Yuck!

there’s a saying in Maryland “if you don’t like the weather today, wait until tomorrow”. the weather is always different. your pictures looks like they came right out of tyler’s book! absolutely perfect!

what an amazing picture! i especially love the little wonton bits in the foreground. great recipe, too, and yes, spring weather blows. :)