Frugal Finds – Day Old Bread

Jalopeno Cheddar Bread

In my latest quest to cut the old grocery bill down to a manageable amount, without sacrificing my desire for good food, I’ve reacquainted myself with an old friend, day old bread.

Now, I’m not talking just any day old bread. I’m talking the good kind, the artisinal kind, if you will. Like this loaf of jalapeno cheddar baked at a local bakery.

Diced and sliced

I bring it home and slice it up. I wrap each set of two slices in wax paper, tape it up and put it back in it’s bag. The ends, that are too small to be sandwich slices, I cube. And into the freezer they go.

Ready to go

Then when I’m making my lunch, I pull out a package of the sliced ready to go, make my sandwich and wrap it back up in the wax paper. Easy peasy.

I use the cubes for croutons, bread pudding, or fresh breadcrumbs. These babies, I think would be wonderful in a breakfast sausage and egg casserole.

Comments

That is such a smart thing to do! I am always complaining because I can’t eat a whole loaf of good bread fast enough before it goes bad and is just too expensive to waste the money on. But this is a great solution.

My kids have this idiotic notion that anything on or past its “sell by” date has to be thrown out. I use my bread ends for Thor’s vitamin and peanut butter sandwiches. Bread cubes also make great stuffing for poultry!

I like to use old bread for croutons and bread crumbs. I really want to try making bread pudding with it too.

Those are really good ideas. I already do the bread crumbs and croutons but I love the idea of wrapping the sandwich pairs together.

Oh my gosh, this is a great idea. My hubby and son love this yummy asiago loaf I occasionally get, and your tip is one that I can immediately put to use. They will be so thrilled to have ready to eat slices wrapped in individual portions. Gosh, why can’t I think up this kind of stuff! Wonderful!

6. leilani says

You would most likely enjoy a very creative cook book, Cooking With Artisan Bread, by Gwenyth Bassetti and Jean Galton. It’s not a bread cookbook but rather a collection of recipes using wonderful artisan breads. Bassetti founded the Grand Dame of Seattle’s artisan bakeries, Grand Central, and that lady knows her breads!

Old bread makes good toast too. Try toasting it lightly in the oven, then topping it with your favorite melty cheese and putting it back in the oven until the cheese melts.

This is a family favorite.

that’s a wonderful tip, pam. and really, the only thing better than jalapeno cheddar bread would be jalapeno pepperjack bread, regardless of whether it’s fresh, day-old, frozen, what-have-you.