Garden Tuesday – Fiddle Dee Dee

Fiddlehead??

Did you know they call these fiddleheads because the resemble the curled part of a fiddle? I think mine looks more like an alien fist about to punch me in the face, but whatevs.

Spores

Do you remember from science class that ferns reproduce by spores? Just look at all of them. You’d think my garden would be filled with ferns, wouldn’t you?

Comments

I love the photo! It took me a minute to figure out what it was before I read your caption.
    I used to have ferns around the front foundation of the house. They grow wild here all over the property and they made a beautiful foundation cover. But as things go, I traded them out for boxwoods, which I am now contemplating a change there. fickle-de-me!

We had these ferns in our yard when I was a kid. They were huge! I remember having to trim the old leaves from the bottom all the time.
    I never knew what they were called, but I always liked them. Great pictures!

Ah, but it’s a cute, little, fuzzy alien fist! Hope little Patchouli keeps her nose away from such a fist! On the other hand, just the word spore kind of creeps me out a bit. Ever since I was a kid and saw all those spores on the bottom of a fern, I have gotten the heebie-jeebies when I see them. So, I just never look on the bottom! As usual, love your photos!

4. Pam says

Terri – thank you!

Katherine – I knew they were, but I thought it was a specific type of fern, not all ferns.

Kat – I am always changing things up in my yard. Never satisfied.

Marjie – no just hot peppers, though I’ve just started a bed so that I can try some tomatillos.

Natashya – I just call em as I see em.

Kathy – thanks!

Shabby – thank you!

Hip – I know people eat them, but I haven’t. They look kind of creepy to me.

Fiddleheads are delicious! We find them on the edge of our woods and along the roadsides here. They’re best cooked simply; saute in olive oil and butter, with salt and pepper. Toss with some pasta.

Fiddleheads are really yummy. We can get them for a short time at our supermarket. Saute with some butter and salt and pepper. Better than asparagus.

I followed you over from that sweet lil Shabby Girl’s place and WOW!!! I love your blog so I’m going to follow.
    And you’re right, that unfurling fern does look like that alien that came outta Sigourney Weaver, lol.
    If you have a moment of your life to waste, please visit me at my blog and say hello.
    Take good care and……