Pink Grapefruit-Champagne Sorbet

Pink Grapefruit-Champagne Sorbet

When it comes to ice cream and such, I’m not much of an egg yolky, cook custard on the stove, kind of girl. So, when I’m in the mood for a frozen type dessert (which by the way is Mon-Sun 24/7), I usually pick up Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accompanimentsand turn to the sorbet section. It was a toss-up between Pink Grapefruit-Champagne Sorbet and Chocolate-Tangerine Sorbet. I went with the grapefruit because I had everything I needed. Yes, I had a bottle of champagne in my fridge. It’s been there since New Years Eve. What, no celebration? Oh, we celebrated. We started with margaritas though and by the time it came for the champagne, I wisely decided enough was enough.

I am firmly convinced that David Lebovitz is a genius, however when I went and googled pink-grapefruit champagne sorbet, I found them all over the place, here and here are two such versions. So, apparently the thought of pink grapefruit and champagne sorbet occurs to alot of people. Why do these things never occur to me? I could sit and ponder that for a long time, but let’s just thank goodness that I have shelf after shelf of cookbooks written by people who did the thinking for me.

David and others, good job. This was wonderful. Utterly fantastic. Insanely, utterly, fantastic. (Note to self, get a thesaurus). My grapefruits were not very juicy and I had to sub in some orange juice. Didn’t matter. Still sublimely, amazingly good.

Pink Grapefruit-Champagne Sorbet
from
Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accompaniments

1 1/2 cups champagne or sparkling wine
1 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups freshly squeezed pink grapefruit juice (from about 3 grapefruits)

In a medium, nonreactive saucepan, heat about 1/2 the champagne with the sugar, stirring it, until the sugar is dissolved. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the rest of the champagne and the grapefruit juice.

Chill thoroughly and then freeze in your ice cream maker per it’s instructions.

Comments

Sounds lovely! What a great way to use up champagne. The poor bottles get saved for the end of the night when we are too full from the other drinks!

I get annoyed with the cook-and-cool instructions for so many ice creams, too. I just plain can’t make myself plan that far ahead! I want the ice cream when I want the ice cream, not a few hours later! I always like seeing your choices for frozen confections. We’re on the same page as to when it’s appropriate, so I can’t keep ice cream around every day, or I’d have a butt the size of Toledo!

Nice and easy to do!

I would second the lack of ice cream and prefer a nice lighter dessert. Mostly because I stuff myself on dinner.

I started following your blog a few weeks ago and I love the recipes you share! I will definitely have to try this one!

5. Pam says

cagrowngirl – let me know if you like it, though I can’t imagine someone not liking it!

Long dark hair (or not so long) – It really is pretty

Donna – It is refreshing!

Natashya – it’s perfect for using up champagne. I’m not a huge champagne drinker, so we never finish a bottle.

Pearl – it is the perfect grown-up dessert.

Joanne – if she loves grapefruit, she will love this!

Marjie – me too. I have to have lighter frozen desserts to offset the rich ones.

Katherine – let me know what you think of the lemon.

Pam – I’m not clever, David is.

Jeff – this really is a nice light way to finish off a good meal.

Shari – oh, I’m still trying the chocolate!

Alisa – it really is.

Andrea – it’s really good.

Grace – I love my spoon too. I have a lovely assortment of mix matched old silverplate.

Lauren – welcome to my blog, I’m so glad you are here!

I’m with you on frozen desserts. I’m going to try this one; I made David’s blood orange sorbet last week which was out of this world.
    Nancy