Sauteed Trout with Bacon

Sauteed Trout with Bacon

I had some trout thawing for dinner on the last Friday of lent. A couple of hours before dinner a thunderstorm came through and we lost power. So, the trout went quickly into the fridge, and we went out to dinner. The next day, I was about cook my originally scheduled dish, trout amandine, when I saw on the same page, sauteed trout with bacon! Let’s weigh that out, shall we…trout with almonds, trout with bacon, trout with almonds, trout with bacon. Yeah, it was a no-brainer.

Do, I even have to tell you that it was wonderful! I mean, c’mon people, trout breaded in cornmeal and fried up in some bacon grease, what’s not to love.

Sauteed Trout with Bacon
from
How To Cook Everything: Simple Recipes for Great Food by Marc Bittman
Serves 2

2 whole trout, gutted and split or filleted
4 slices of bacon (or more, much more)
1 cup cornmeal
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
minced fresh parsley leaves for garnish

Cook the bacon in a skillet (cast iron preferred). When the bacon is crisp, remove it to a warm oven.

Rinse and dry the fish. Dredge the fish in the cornmeal and place int the pan, and raise the heat to high. Season with salt and pepper.

Cook until nicely browned on both sides and the fish is cooked through, about 8 to 12 minutes total. Garnish with the bacon and parsley.

Comments

Good call on the bacon because bacon makes everything taste beautiful.

I did a bacon wrapped cod a couple weeks ago and it tasted beautiful.

Going to have to give this a shot!

It doesn’t get much better than trout and bacon. It looks beautiful Pam and I know it tasted wonderful.

Sorry to hear about your Samsungs…I heard a few negatives on them. I hope you have clean undies soon!

Oh yum! I would devour this, and even better … so would my children. Almonds are great, but there is no comparison to bacon. Just saying “bacon” is kind of mesmerizing! Great looking trout! What’s that peeking out from underneath? Looks yummy, too!

Mmmm… as much as I love trout almondine, this sounds even better!
    And the best part is that the Old Guy went trout fishing this morning, so keep your fingers crossed!

5. Pam says

Donna – I love his recipes too, they are always my go to recipes.

Joanne – simple is good.

Judi – yes, it is isn’t it!

Marjie – I went around saying, bacon, bacon, bacon, too!

Jeff – bacon wrapped cod sounds fantastic. I also want to try proscuitto wrapped.

Pearl – I love the mild flavor of trout.

Pam – cornmeal and fish..a match made in heaven.

Katherine – well the appliance people are coming tomorrow, thank goodness.

Paula – that’s a wheat berry pilaf. Trying to get in more whole grains, you know!

Natashya – I think we have an agreement on the bacon!

Tater – I hope he had good luck!

iiiit’s BACON! crusting fish in cornmeal, eh? if ever something would entice me to eat fish, it’s that. or deep-frying. :)

Good point. Almost anything fried up in bacon grease is good, isn’t it? The whole thing looks very delicious