Tolan’s Mom’s Potato Salad – Tyler Florence

Potato Salad

Don’t you love when you learn a completely new to you idea in a recipe? I do. And with my level of expertise, this happens quite a bit. I chose this recipe on ingredients alone, I didn’t even read the directions until I was in the middle of making it. So, when I got to the part to peel the eggs, I was completely surprised to see that you grate the hard boiled eggs into the potato salad! What a fantastic idea. You know how the yolk usually dissolves anyway, and then you are left with little chunks of egg white? Well, this eliminates that, the egg flavor is dispersed evenly throughout the potato salad. Brilliant.

Potato Salad

This was a definite winner, it probably tied for top billing with the ham. I also made his Ultimate Baked Beans, which totally did not work for me. I’ll have to research it and see what went wrong. But this, potato salad, was just right!

Tolan’s Mom’s Potato Salad
from
Tyler’s Ultimate: Brilliant Simple Food to Make Any Time
Serves 4-6

2 lbs small yukon gold potatoes
2 large eggs
kosher salt
1/2 bunch scallion, sliced, white and green parts
2 tablespoons drained capers
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup Dijon mustard (I used half as much)
1/4 cup finely chopped dill pickles
1/4 cup pickle juice
1 small red onion, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
1/2 lemon, juice of
fresh ground pepper

Place potatoes and eggs in saucepan of cold, salted water. Bring to a simmer.
Remove eggs with a slotted spoon after 12 minutes and let cool. Continue cooking potatoes until tender, about 3 minutes longer. Drain potatoes in a colander and let them cool.

Reserve some scallions and capers for garnish.

Stir together mayonnaise, mustard, pickles with juice, onions, remaining scallions and capers, parsley and lemon juice in a bowl large enough to hold the potatoes.

Peel the cooled eggs and grate them into the bowl.

Peel cooled potatoes with a paring knife. Cut potatoes into chunks and toss with the dressing to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with reserved scallions and capers.

This will be my entry for this week’s Tyler Florence Fridays. Join us, all the cool kids do.

Comments

I eat potato salad very rarely but when I do, I want something that I know tastes amazing. Grating the eggs is certainly an interesting idea. Thanks for the recipe!

I love Potato salad. I am in the mood for it now, but don’t have the golden potatoes, but red ones. That’ll work. It looks so good!

Would leaving out the capers affect the taste very much? I can’t see me liking the capers or bothering to get them or is it time to try something new?
    I’m just thinking about how much better recipees taste with sesame oil and how excited I was to discover the new flavour that was added.
    The pickles look like a great addition!

It is the pickle juice that makes the potato salad. I normally keep empty jars of pickles in the fridge just so I have the juice laying around. Of course one lesson I learned is habanero pickles will make a spicy potato salad that will have your heat sensitive friends cursing you and crying.

Looks amazing!

Tyler was wise…always a good idea to cook something up from the mother-in-law.

All my favourite ingredients for spud salad are here…I’ll try the grated yolk…inventive.

It’s pretty with the bright green scallions on top! My sister in law is a huge fan of potato salad; I’ll have to tell her about this.

I absolutely LOVE potato salad, thanks for reminding me to make some because it’s almost getting warm enough for it :) Grating in egg is a novel idea, I may try that some time.

This looks sooo good and I am sooo very hungry. I’m sitting at parent/teacher conferences, and have been school since 7:15 this morning! I hope you had a good Easter. ~Natalie

9. Pam says

Joanne – my husband said this was the best potato salad that he has ever eaten. So, he highly recommends it!

Kat – give it a try and let me know what you think.

Raidergirl3 – I don’t think they would effect it that much. But I do like the brininess they bring to a dish, similar to olives.

shabby – let me know if you like it.

Pearl – I didn’t even think about all the leftover eggs people might have!

Jeff – my husband would probably love it if I used habanero pickle juice.

Peter – it’s really good, let me know if you try it.

Marjie – for once, I garnished. I usually can’t be bothered.

Oh that potato salad looks good. I haven’t had it in awhile. But next time I make it I will definately grate the eggs.

I have made this salad and I agree, it is really tasty. I love the grated egg and the chopped dill pickle.
    Your photos are great, and your choice is perfect for BBQ season.

i love potato salad but i’m really picky about how it should taste. including yours, i’ve read all good reviews on this recipe so i can’t wait to try it. i like the grated egg approach to it too.

Oooh, this sounds good. It is indeed fabulous to learn new techniques and I can see how grating the egg would be great in the salad (although I rather like the chunks of egg white!). Good job.
    Nancy