Big, Cool Noodle Bowl with Roast Chicken, Cucumbers and Fresh Mint

Noodle Bowl

If you had to pick a favorite cuisine, what would you choose? Is it an easy decision for you? It’s not for me, not at all. I love the hot curry pastes, cilantro and lime flavors of Thai; the earthy olives and tangy feta of Greek; the rich, buttery avocados and hot chiles of Mexican. But it is the cuisine of Vietnam that I turn to when I want fresh, peppery, tart flavors. And the book that I usually turn to is, Quick & Easy Vietnamese: 75 Everyday Recipes.

More Noodle Bowl

Since I had some leftover roast chicken, I was looking for something to use it up, and Big, Cool Noodle Bowl with Roast Chicken, Cucumbers, and Fresh Mint, sounded perfect. And, perfect it was. I can’t begin to say how good this was. It was fresh, light, sweet, sour, hot and cool. What I really liked was that once you created the parts, you could assemble it however you felt. You could have more carrots, less cilantro, light on the cucumbers, heavy on the dipping sauce. The recipe states that the bean sprouts are optional (and they really are, because I forgot them until the very end, and it made no difference), and I would also have to say that the chicken is optional. It really didn’t even need it!

Big, Cool Noodle bowl with Roast chicken, Cucumbers, and Fresh Mint
Serves 4

1/2 pound thin dried rice noodles or angel hair pasta
2 cups shredded lettuce or spring mix
3 cups shredded roast chicken, or 1/2 pound grilled shrimp, or 1/2 recipe of Lemongrass Beef
2 cups peeled and sliced cucumber
1 cup small sprigs of fresh mint and fresh cilantro combined
2 cups mung bean sprout (optional)
1 cup shredded pickled carrots (or regular carrots), optional
1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
3/4 cup chopped roasted peanuts
double recipe of Everyday Dipping Sauce (recipe follows)

Cook noodles as describe on package. Drain and rinse with cool water and drain again.

Set out 4 big noodle bowls. Divide the ingredients amongst the four bowls, starting with the lettuce, then 1 1/2 cups of noodles per bowl. Put the roast chicken on one side, then the cucumbers, herbs, and any of the optional ingredients that you are using. Sprinkle with the green onions and the peanuts, pour over 1/4 cup of the dipping sauce (or however much you like) over each portion. Serve.

Look I have a Mortar and Pestle

Everyday Dipping Sauce
Makes about 1/2 cup

1 tablespoon chopped garlic
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon chili-garlic sauce, or finely chopped fresh hot red chillies, or 1 teaspoon dried red chili flakes
3 tablespoons fish sauce
3 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice

Combine the garlic, sugar, and chili-garlic sauce in the bowl of a mortar and mash to form a paste. Scrape the paste into a small bowl and combine with the liquid ingredients. Stir to combine. Store in a covered jar in the refrigerator.

Everyday Dipping Sauce

This will be my entry for this week’s Presto Pasta Nights, hosted by KItchenetta at Got No Milk.

Comments

I love the prominence of cilantro in this dish. I’ve never had vietnamese cuisine, but I’d be hard put to pick a favorite food type as well. It really depends what mood I’m in. In the end, I definitely can’t live without pasta and thankfully you can find pasta dishes in most cuisines!

Boy, I sure don’t know if I could pick just one favorite cuisine either, but I sure do adore Vietnamese food. I’m really lucky that there is a great Vietnamese restaurant about 5 minutes from where I live. I love their noodle salads and I love your noodle bowl! The whole lettuce and noodle thing is one of my favorite combos. And that dipping sauce you made … oh total yum, does that ever sound good to me. This is a great, great meal. Two big YUMS up!

Oh my, delicious! My current obsession is udon noodles and Burmese food. So yummy! Next on my list, though, is this chicken meal.

it must be the day for salads with fresh mint. I just finished one for dinner myself, now to blog about it. :) I love noodle salads …so I must make your’s this week!

5. Pam says

Terri – I’m going to keep this sauce in the fridge to have it always available.

Katherine – It really is good!

cagrowngirl – thank you!

Joanne – I’m with you on the pasta. Pasta is always good!

Shabby – let me know if you try it.

Pam – thank you!

Marjie – it really is. It just looks so fresh and healthy.

Paula – it really is wonderful! So flavorful.

Pearl – thanks!

Casey – I’m trying to find a go to udon noodle recipe, do you have one?

Pam … stopping by to say hi! The food looks yum. I have no problem deciding on a favored cuisine though … I LOVE LOVE LOVE Mexican … but not all mexican food. Just one meal in particular … Cheese and Onion Enchiladas and Rice. Yummo!!!

blessings!

So, so yummy looking. I love salads with these combos of flavors. Thanks for submitting to this week’s PPN, and this will be one I try soon.

I make something similar but the sauce is different. I’m going to post this on my blog with a link back here. That way I will have the recipe. It’s going to be really hot on Thursday here and this sounds like a perfect meal.

i’d love to plop down on the couch with a big ol’ bowl of this combo–it sounds excellent! it wouldn’t be wise to do said plopping with a dish of that amazing sauce in my other hand, but i’d make it work. :)

I have top 5 favorites but I am to much of a mood eater and commit phobic to choose just one cuisine.

I think I have that book at home and now am going to have to reference it more because I forgot how awesome Vietnamese food is.

Nicely done!

I want to thank you for posting your roast a chicken each week challenge. It inspired me to do it last night (my first ever roasted chicken) and it came out SOOOO delicious (I used Tyler Florences recipe minus a stick of butter). I ended up making this Vietnamese dish as the first of 3 chicken dinners and it was delish! Thanks again – Ill be using your blog for more dinner inspirations. My picky boyfriend loved coming home to such a wonderful smell!

12. Anonymous says

I’m going to make this tonight but without the pasta…it’s just what I have been looking for. Thanks!

I’m making this for dinner tonight. I think I’ll try to shoot it, but I don’t think it will be as pretty as your picture!