Chipotle Chicken Salad Tacos with Avocado, Red-Skin Potatoes and Romaine

Chipotle Chicken Salad

Rick, Rick, Rick, Rick. I have not been so enamoured with a Rick since I was briefly married, in kindergarten, to Ricky Nelson. Unfortunately for that Ricky, I dumped him for Elvis Presley. Alas, I was quite fickle in kindergarten. But not so with Rick Bayless. Rick and I are going to have a long, fruitful, tasty relationship.

So, you know I’ve been roasting a chicken every week. Yep, still doing that, it’s going strong on it’s 4th week! Which means that I have leftover chicken to do something with every week. I turn to my new favorite Ricky, and find, Chipotle Chicken Salad Tacos with Avocado, Red-Skin Potatoes and Romaine. This was wonderful, and easy, and tasty, and wonderful, and easy, and tasty. I tend to repeat myself when happy. The flavors in this were so fresh and it was so light and summery.

Chipotle Chicken Salad Tacos with Avocado, Red-Skin Potatoes and Romaine
from
Mexican Everyday (Recipes Featured on Season 4 of the PBS-TV series “Mexico One Plate at a Time”)
Serves 4

1 large red-skin potato or Yukon Gold, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
Salt
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
2 canned chipotle chiles en adobo, seeded and chopped
1/4 small white onion, finely chopped
6 ounces (about 1 1/2 cups) coarsely shredded cooked chicken
2 cups sliced romaine leaves – slice them about 1/4 inch across
1 ripe avocado, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
12 warm corn tortillas

Place the sliced potatoes into a large microwavable bowl, pour in 1/4 cup of water and sprinkle generously with salt. Cover and microwave on high for about 4 minutes. Remove potatoes with a slotted spoon to a cutting board and let cool, reserving cooking liquid.

Add the vinegar, oregano, chipotle chiles and onion to the bowl with the potato water to make the dressing. Mix and then taste, add salt if necessary.

Use a fork to break up the potatoes (or just dice like I did) into 1/2 inch pieces, then place them in a large bowl. Add the chicken, drizzle over the dressing and toss to combine. You can refrigerate it for a half and hour to allow the flavors to blend.

Just before serving, add the lettuce and avocado, and drizzle with olive oil and toss gently to combine. Serve with warm tacos.

Chipotle Chiles

And for those lucky people still reading, here is my frugal tip of the day. Whenever I buy those canned chipotle peppers, I always separate them onto individual wax paper sheets, and wrap them up. I place them in a ziplock bag in the freezer. That way when a recipe calls for one or two chilies, I just pull out the required number of packets.

Your welcome.

Comments

Enjoyed your blog today. Hope you have a fun and exciting and happy and fun and exciting and happy day!!

Where do you get that color of wax paper? Are those peppers hot? You are teaching an old dog new tricks, haha.

I need to just suck it up and get over my fear of cooking whole chickens. Especially with the crockpot, it should be so easy in theory and I’d love to have some shredded chicken just lying around to do things with. Like make these delicious-looking tacos.

Oooo, I wish I had some of that right now, I’d have it for breakfast!
    I have that cookbook, but haven’t opened it in a very long time. Thanks for the reminder!

What a great idea with the peppers becuase they go bad in the fridge.

And Rick Bayless, love him too…looks fabulous Pam.

i can’t believe I didn’t think of the chipolte pepper thing. Do you know how many times I’ve stupidly thrown cans of them away? Do you know how many of those little suckers they can pack in a can?

This looks and sounds so good. Pam you need to come over here and slap me! = )

I used to love watching his cooking show on PBS. They need to bring him back or at least show re-runs! This sounds lovely! And your tip of the day is terrific! Once again, I’m *thunking* my forehead wondering why I never think of these things! :-)

Looks delicious and has such an interesting and nutritious combination.
    Thanks for the freezing tip! I’m trying to make better use of my freezer versus having it be a holding place for future garbage.

Now that everyone’s home, I roast two chickens for one night’s dinner. Sometimes there’s enough left for a sandwich the next day.

Does your hubby know he’s been second fiddle to dudes named Rick since before he knew you?

Brilliant idea with the chipotles there Pam.

Rick is my boyfriend too. We met him at Topolobampo, and he couldn’t have been nicer or more engaging. The restaurant is fantastic.
    LL

I can’t wait to make these – you know how I love tacos. Thanks for the tip – I will be doing that from now on.

12. Pam says

Terri – thanks, it was good!

Cagrowngirl – let me know if they like it!

Kristin – Thanks. I know, I’d thrown many a moldy chipotle away.

Joy – thank you, thank you!

Kat – it’s unbleached. I get it at Greenlife. And yes, they’re hot, that’s why recipes usually call for one or two.

Joanne – it really is so easy, once you get over your fear.

Pearl – thanks.

Shabby – so far, everything I’ve tried from it has been fantastic.

Fearless – thank you!

Noble – I hope you can use the tip.

Debbie – Thank you!

Katherine – no slapping necessary, I assure you!

Paula – I love his show too.

Jenn – thank you!

Lisa – thank you and your welcome!

Katerina – me too!

Natashya – it’s all about the Bayless love.

Judi – me too, I’m trying to think of my freezer as a separate pantry.

Marjie – Shhhh, don’t tell him about the Ricks!

Lori Lynn – oh all right, I’ll share him with you.

as a chipotle-lover, i appreciate that tip.
    now. i have never, ever had potato in a taco. what a notion–i’m trying it immediately!

I will definitely be making this recipe. Because of the ease, the tastiness, the wonderfulness, and especially out of gratitude for a reasonable tip about how not to waste 95% of every single can of chipotles in adobo. Thank you!