Not a Social Butterfly

Promises, Promises

This may come as a shock to some of you (or not), but I am very boring. Always have been, always will be. I hate to burst your bubble, but I am not a social butterfly (you did think I was a social butterfly, didn’t you?!)

For as long as I can remember, back to my wee years, while everyone else looked forward to beaches and suntans, and sports and camping, in the summer, I looked forward to the library.

Oh, that first glorious trip to the library! Where I would pick my 5 or 6 books for the week. The whole summer spread before me, endless days of reading under blue skies. This is one of the reasons I love being a teacher, it’s almost like being a kid again. The stack of books, the promises of stories to be read, characters to love or hate, worlds to escape to.

Comments

I love Joshilyn Jackson – Between, Georgia I am saving for my niece when she comes of age. Our relationship is in the book.

Reading is a wonderful world to have. ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY!!!

This post reminds me of Francie and her excitement about the library in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (listened to it recently on CD during my commute back and forth to work).

Your students must be lucky because your love of teaching must make you a very good one.

I love to read too. I read every single day…it’s rare that I miss a day.

oh i did that, too! but i also wanted my tan: so instead, i camped out in my backyard (quiet, solitary back yard) and read.
    and one summer, it was SO hot and i neglected to drink water that i ended up getting heat exhaustion.
    since then, i’ve just accepted my pale self and stayed indoors to read.

Ditto!

I recently told my students, “When I retire I’m going to make a schedule and guess what’s the first thing I’m putting on the schedule?”

Of course they were very surprised when I said “Reading!”

I am a library girl as well. I think I must have read 20 books last summer. It’s the only chance I get to catch up on all the ones I’ve missed over the year. Not to mention the fact that the library is a GREAT source of cookbooks!

I’m not a social butterfly either… I would much rather spend time with a good book, than doing much of anything else.
    Kind of boring, I know.

I love reading too, while my neighbours are yelling and visiting and being social, I am on the deck and have my head down in my book.
    Are you finished the school year now?

My parents moved at least once a year. The last time they moved while I was home was a week after 7th grade ended. Knowing no one, and being a terrible outdoorsgirl, I figured out where the library was, and walked the 2 miles each way every weekday. It was a very happy summer indeed. And I’m glad to learn that you’re almost as boring as I am. Happy Memorial Day!

I love books and will always love books. I have so many waiting for me that it’s a crime and I keep going to the libary and buying more. There is absolutely nothing better than a good read!

Books don’t look at me funny when I show up at the library with no makeup, my jogging pants on and my hair up in a messy ponytail. They are true friends, indeed.

Your current collection looks like a great time. I adored Between, Georgia and think you will, too.

you and I will get along just fine! when my best friend and I visit the mall, we automatically head for the bookstore. I frequent the library so much I might as well camp there. the ppl working in Borders recognize me because I’m there all the time.

13. Anonymous says

As a librarian nothing puts a smile on my face more than someone promoting the joy of reading, and of course, the library.

Random trivia, but I saw you’re reading “Between, Georgia.” I used to live about 20 miles away from there! We always laughed when we saw the city limits sign when driving to Atlanta.

15. Pam says

Cagrowngirl – I’ve never read any Joshilyn Jackson, so I am looking forward to it.

Shabby – they are wonderful, aren’t they?

Lovea – I haven’t read that in ages, I’ll have to pull it out again!

Shirley – I know, I read every day too, no matter how tired.

Noble – it’s the simple things that make good memories I think.

Pearl – You’re much healthier reading out of the sun!

Kalyn – I told my students about having books waiting for me on hold, and they just looked at me sadly.

Joanne – except every time I check a cookbook out of the library, I end up buying it!

Andrea – nothing makes me forget my troubles like a good book.

Tater – we’ll be boring together!

Natashya – one and a half days!!!

Marjie – that’s one thing about moving, you could always count on the library feeling like home to you.

Deb – I have an entire bookcase for my TBR pile!

Susan – I keep hearing good things about the book, so I can’t wait to read it.

Burp – I make trips to the mall, for the sole purpose of going to the bookstore!

Anon – librarians. They are my favorite people!

Haley – I didn’t even know it was a real city!

Natalie – are you finished?

Pink – I mostly go during the summer, when I can keep track of due dates and things.

Cindy – great, thanks, I’ll go check it out!