Strawberry Frozen Yogurt

Strawberry Frozen Yogurt

Oh, happy day!!! Last day of school!!! What better way to celebrate than with something frozen!!

I paused…right here…to go see if I had ever posted this strawberry frozen yogurt before, because I make it every time I have strawberries. And how is this for weird, last summer on the very last day of school, I posted Strawberry-Buttermilk Gelato! What’s up with me and frozen strawberry desserts on the last day of school?? Tune it next year, same bat-time, same bat-channel, and see what cool strawberry concoction I have up my sleeve.

This recipe comes from the ice cream man, David Lebovitz, Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accompaniments. If you don’t have this book by now, I can’t help you. I couldn’t imagine facing a hot, sticky summer without it. (Or a cold winter, or a breezy spring, or a crisp fall).

Strawberry Frozen Yogurt
from
Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accompaniments
Makes 1 quart

1 pound fresh strawberries, rinsed and hulled
2/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons kirsch
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice.

Slice the strawberries and toss in a large bowl with the sugar and the kirsch. Let it set at room temperature, covered for about an hour.

Pour the strawberries and their juices in a blender and puree with the yogurt and lemon juice. You can strain this if you want to through a fine strainer (but I don’t).

Refrigerate for about an hour to chill and then process in your ice cream maker per it’s instructions.

Comments

I made some strawberry frozen yogurt last week and it lasted about 12 seconds. It’s astonishing stuff. And strawberry season will start here soon – yippee!

yay! I bought this book the other day (because of you) and I am so excited! I was having difficulties making a decision as to which recipe would be my first… now I know! Thanks Pam!

Mmmm, yummy! I’ll be back next year, same bat time, same bat channel! Ha! You’ve got such a fun sense of humor! Hope your last day of school goes by fast!

That is such a pretty picture! It definitely makes me want a bite. Maybe this is the year I will break down and get an ice cream maker.

This makes my mouth water – there is nothing better than strawberry frozen yogurt in my book. It looks wonderful Pam.

congrats on making it through the school year–that’s quite a mean feat. :)
    and of course, your frozen concoction looks spectacularly perfect and delightful. excellent work.

7. Pam says

Barbara – thank you!

Marjie – It really is wonderful isn’t it?

Joan – Yay! I’m practically working my way through it.

Paula – it did! I was home by 10:15 and then it was time for a nap!

Lisa – I can’t live without mine.

Shabby – yep, I’m the one walking around with a permanent grin on my face!

Cagrown – I plan on it!

Andrea – thank you!

Antoinette – thank you!

Lydia – it really is. I have no reason to buy any other (though that may not stop me).

Jenn – thank you!

Katherine – kirsch is cherry brandy. It keeps the frozen yogurt at a creamy consistency and I think it deepens the strawberry flavor a bit.

Pam – thanks, Pam!

That strawberry frozen yogurt looks really good. The strawberries have just started to show up here and I am looking forward to frozen strawberry treats!

9. Anonymous says

Absolutely adore the picture! You can never go wrong with strawberries which is probably why you love them so much! They are the perfect compliment to any frozen treat ESPECIALLY froyo. I looove froyo so I will be definitely trying you recipe! :) Thanks for sharing it!

P.S. If there are any avid froyo lovers like me on the East Coast–a NEW shop is opening soon called CUPS frozen yogurt and they are giving away FREE yogurt from I think 1PM-10PM on Grand Opening day! Don’t quote me on this though– I just stumbled upon it at facebook.com/cupsfrozenyogurt But I’ll be there for sure!