Swordfish with Tomato, Cucumber, and Radish Relish

Swordfish

I carry around a pocket guide from the Monterey Bay Auarium, but even with that sometimes it’s hard to know what’s ok and what’s not. For example swordfish. You are to avoid imported swordfish caught with a longline, but it’s okay if it’s caught in Hawaii with a harpoon or handline! See? So, I try to avoid all those questionable fish and just stick to the ones that I know are okay, but my husband bought the swordfish, and well, it was already bought, and you can’t waste food, and besides, oh my gosh, I had forgotten how good swordfish is.

This is so fresh and light, and easy. This is actually what I made for my birthday dinner. I know, I know, cooking for my own birthday dinner! But we had gone out the weekend before for my daughter’s graduation, so I felt like being a little frugal, plus really, this was as good as, if not better than anything I would have gotten at a restaurant around here.

Swordfish with Tomato, Cucumber, and Radish Relish
adapted from
The Bon Appetit Cookbook: Fast Easy Fresh
Serves 2

2 6-to-7 ounce swordfish steaks
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2 tomatoes, seeded, diced
2/3 cup diced pickling cucumber or English hothouse cucumber
5 radishes, diced
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Preheat grill to medium-high heat.

Brush the swordfish steaks on both sides with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Drizzle it with 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice and let it stand while preparing the relish.

Combine the tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes and cilantro, 3 tablespoons olive oil, and 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice in a small bowl. Stir to combine and season with salt and pepper.

Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper and grill over a medium-high to high heat for about 4 minutes per side (or until is fish is cooked to your liking).

Serve fish with relish.

This recipe using my very favorite herb, cilantro, will be my entry for this week’s Weekend Herb Blogging, hosted by Cinzia at Cindystar.

Comments

Our favorite cookbook does it again! I love how simple this is and you’re right, you can’t waste good already-bought swordfish.

You inspired me to try my hand at fresh pasta – tomatoes from the Farmer’s Market, Basil from my garden…it turned out pretty tasty. Thanks for your bit of inspiration on all the terrific recipes you showcase.

Oh my gosh, when I first read this, I thought your opening sentence said you carried a guide from the Monterey Bay Aquarium! That certainly put a different twist on things! :-) This dish looks lovely! And despite cooking on your birthday, how great that you had such a wonderful meal! This relish especially sounds perfect to welcome the summer weather. How many more days of school left for you? I’ve got short-timers attitude … we are literally counting down the days left. My homeschooled son will finish in just over a week. My girls go until mid June because a couple more dys were added due to snow earlier in the year. Then its hello summer!

Oh, one more thing to add to my earlier novel length comment … congrats to your daughter on her graduation!

So you found a way to use your radishes! Good for you! Your swordfish looks great, and I agree that at home, you can at least get exactly what you want! I cook for my own birthday, too, so you’re in good company.

i’m crazy about that relish, mostly because i’ve recently become obsessed with radishes and the amazing crunch that they supply. :)

I’m not usually all that crazy about radishes but this looks tempting. And the swordfish would have to be delicious.

8. Pam says

Kalyn – I know it’s a definite repeater.

Joanne – isn’t that cookbook the best!!!

Michelle – it was so good, and so unbelievably easy.

Kathy – I know, I had forgotten how good it was.

cagrowngirl – thank you!

Paula – the students are done! There are officially two days left for teachers. I am practically giddy with excitement.

Pearl – swordfish is really yummy! Almost meaty like, it grills really well.

Marjie – good, I’m glad I’m not the only one!

Grace – I’m not all that crazy about radishes, though they are growing on me.

Andrea – you’re welcome!

Lisa – I’m not crazy about them either, but they keep arriving in my CSA!

This is my kind of recipe. Simple, easy, fresh and fast. I use the European cucumber quite often and really enjoy what it brings to the party. I’m writing this recipe down. It would be good with chicken also.
    Sam