TFF – Marinated Chickpeas

Tyler's Chickpeas

Being caught up in the whole giddiness of summer vacation, I completely forgot about my Tyler Florence Fridays entry! So, I hurried up, flipped through some books and found the easiest, quickest thing I could make.

What I found was Marinated Chickpeas in Tyler’s Ultimate: Brilliant Simple Food to Make Any Time. These were quick and easy and can be made from everything found in your pantry. While, I thought they were good, they seemed a little strong. A little heavy on the paprika and the cumin seeds. So, I did me some googling and some searching and I found another version of this recipe. The other version comes from Eat This Book: Cooking with Global Fresh Flavorsand it’s proportions seem more ideal to me.

Marinated Chickpeas
from Tyler’s Ultimate
Serves 6 to 8

1 garlic clove, peeled and smashed
1 fresh red chile, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 15.5 ounce can chickpeas, drained
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
juice of 1/2 lemon

Saute the garlic, chile, cumin, and paprika in olive oil until fragrant, a minute or two. Let cool and pour over the chickpeas; season with salt and lemon juice. Puree about 1/2 of the chickpeas in a food processor until creamy, then combine with the whole chickpeas.

***You know what, I just realized as I typed that, I didn’t puree 1/3 of the chickpeas. That would probably mellow the flavor and disperse the spices more evenly. Motive of the story…reread your recipe as you’re doing it. Sorry Tyler. I promise to obey your every command from now on. Promise. If not, you can just come right over and give me a good talking to.

Comments

This sounds good with all of the right spices. I’ve made something similar. I’m so glad to see that someone else re-reads a recipe and finds they didn’t quite do what it said. Happens to me all of the time – whew, what a relief. Thought it was just me.
    Thanks for stopping by my kitchen. You’ve got a great blog and I’ll visit again soon.
    Cheers,
    Sam

Chick peas are so good for you, but I get sick of the same old preparation — aka hummus. This looks like a delicious twist on the traditional!

Oh my gosh, I can’t believe you posted about chick peas. My jaw literally fell open … in a happy way! Seriously, just as I was logging on to your blog, I started craving chick peas and was thinking I’d have to find a recipe. At that very moment, your blog loaded and the jaw dropping thing happened. Now all I need it to start hearing the theme song from The Twilight Zone! :-) As your timing is perfect, I’m logging off to make me some marinated chick peas!

Yum! I made the ones from Eat This Book a while back and really liked them. You are right, when you puree some of the chickpeas it really does help the texture and the spice factor.

how delightful! i’m a big fan of both pureed chickpeas and the texture they have without having been blitzed. a mixture of the two AND an awesome marinade make for an incredible dish!

That has happened to me as well, while typing- ah- that’s what was wrong…
    I didn’t time for a tff recipe this week, too many after school activities!

I’ve never done anything with chick peas except hummus or dropped into various salads. And I love them. Great recipe and a great photograph- very important I think!

lol, wouldn’t we all love for tyler to stop by our places to give us a good talking to! I’d be disobeying left and right to get that to happen!! :P you made these chickpeas really appeal to me, that’s not easy. i like them but i always pass over them if they’re not made into hummus.

Congrats on the last day of school! Now that I am out I have absolutely no sense of time either. What a yummy looking Tyler recipe!

Chickpeas are so nice and cream and good that I often eat them by the spoonful. Marinating them is a great idea!

Wonder if my kids would eat this? Maybe if I don’t say the word chickpeas. Cause I’d eat them and would rather share.

12. Anonymous says

Just made the recipe after googling it. Our Canadian Thanksgiving is this weekend with all our markets full of harvest goodies and was looking for an appetizer to fit into the mix .. I saw this today in a grocery store in the bulk section and decided to make it..
    Hmm.. I too didn’t blend any of the mixture, nor did I sauté the spices!! Oh , well!
    Thanks for the recipe!