TFF – Quick Pickled Radishes

Quick Pickled Radishes

Guess what people??? There are 10 more days of school!!! Ten more days until I begin working on the great to-do list that threatens to fill up every single day of freedom. On top of the great to-do list (which may or may not still include..clean out the garage so we can actually park a car in it), I have officially declared this summer, the summer of pickling and canning and preserving and jamming and all kinds of other activities involving putting food in jars. I really want to get back into canning and have a stocked pantry with pretty jars all lined up.

So, I’ve been pouring over preserving books, and googling various terms. During one of my searches, I found Quick Pickled Radishes from Tyler Florence. Guess who had just received a bunch of radishes in her CSA?

These were yummy. We ate them like pickles with a sandwich, and then later sliced on a salad. I didn’t have champagne vinegar, so I just used white wine vinegar. I also didn’t have 4 bunches of radishes, only one, so I had to 1/4th the recipe (and practice my sorely lacking math skills in the process). I didn’t drain them, but just stored them in the fridge to use whenever.

Quick Pickled Radishes
Tyler Florence

4 bunches radishes, washed and split down the middle, with a little stem (about 1/2 inch) still attached

Pickling mix:
1 quart champagne vinegar
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup pickling spices
2 cloves garlic, smashed
2 stems fresh wild fennel (optional or use 2 tablespoons dried fennel seeds)

Take a large deep dish and lay the radishes out in it (I just used a canning jar). In a large pot, bring the pickling ingredients to a boil. Remove from the heat and pour over the radishes. Cover tightly and set aside. Once cooled to room temperature, strain and serve.

This will be my entry for this week’s Tyler Florence Fridays! What did you make??

Comments

I love when my pantry is full of jars of lovel fruit and vegetables. I hope it stops raining long enough for my garden to live. I am out of pickles and peppers. A good canning book for that sort of stuff is Heinz Successful Pickling Guide. You can probably order it from their web site. Good luck.

Hooray for pickling season! They sound great, so cute in their little jar.
    ps, small shout-out to you today on my post, snicker, snicker, snicker =P

YUMM. I don’t know that I’ll get much canning done this summer cause all my “tools” are in storage. But I can see getting these put up. Blessings, SusanD

Yay for the end of school! My last day of classes ever as a college student is today (I still have finals, but I’m choosing to ignore that fact at the moment). The pickled radishes are a great color. I can’t wait to see what other treats you have in store for us this summer.

Great idea! I know you don’t like radishes, so I wondered what you’d do with them. We’ll be done with school next week, too. As for the garage? Well, we have floor to ceiling shelves and pegboards, because I threatened to put all of hubby’s crap on the lawn. Happy Thursday!

6. Pam says

Kat – I know. I can’t even get some things planted, it just won’t stop raining.

Natashya – I’m judging my the snicker that this has to do with a certain awful, terrible, no good, very bad food item.

Susan – I’m going to do a lot of refrigerator and freezer pickles too.

Joanne – good luck on your finals!

Funny you mention preserves…starwberries are in season where I live…I want to make some preserves. I believe this recession hasn’t YET hit us as hard as it will.

Peaches are next on my list. :)

Pickling makes everything happy. Huge fan of it especially quick ones that involve cucumbers or other veggies.

Nicely done and looking forward to other pickled creations from you.

Hey, Pam…I can so relate…
    I think only teachers do this…we ‘save’ bigger cleaning projects cause we think we can get it all done in the summer. I’ll bet our garage looks like yours!! Only 8 days left for us. We’ll have to arrange a ‘coffee date’ when school gets out!! ~Natalie

I sat down to read your post almost 7 hours ago, but got interrupted by a surprise trip to the hospital to get stitches in my beloved’s finger. So much for Saturday morning! This looks SO intriguing!! Radishes grow so easy and fast here. What a great recipe! I bet I wouldn’t have given it much consideration without your example!

OH, these look so delicious. I have been away from blogs for so long, and these are a wonderful bright, happy spring thing to read just coming back.

What a great idea! I need to learn how to pickle and can and preserve, so I’ll be paying close attention! I love the idea of pickled radishes. YUM! Hope the 10 days pass by quickly. I have short timers attitude … my son is homeschooled and we have just over 2 weeks left; my girls have about 4 weeks left. I’m ready to start summer vacation NOW! :-)

13. Pam says

Pearl – I’m with your mother!

Marjie – I wish I could say that it’s hubbies crap, but alot of it is mine.

Pam – they’re pretty good, they don’t really taste like radishes.

Ca – I made some strawberry freezer jam that was amazing! Have you ever tried it?

Gloria – thank you!

Sanghi – thanks!

Jeff – I know. Quick pickles are perfect.

Deb – let me know if you try it, or anything else that you come up with for radishes.

Jenny – what do you plan on canning?

Tins – don’t you love this time of year!!

Tins – oh no, what did your beloved do???

Maybelle’s Mom – welcome back!

canning/preserving is one of those things that i would love to do but haven’t because it gives me little panic attacks! mostly due to all the sterilization and stuff. :) i’ll have to quit wimping out and just do it! these sound pretty good.