Quick Pickled Baby Turnips

Turnips looking deceitfully pretty

Did you just gag a little when you read the word turnips in my title. It’s okay. I understand. Believe me, if it were not for my CSA, turnips would not be passing through these lips. Seriously, you people that talk about planting your garden and how good your turnips are doing…really? I mean…really!? I find it so hard to believe that there are people who actually think, “Wow, I’m going to plant some turnips!” Of course, you’re probably the same people who also plant lima beans, and there is simply no hope for you. None at all.

So anyways, I’ve got these turnips. And I admit they are kind of pretty, in their whole part of nature kind of way. So, I turn to my handy dandy new book The Joy of Pickling, Revised Edition: 250 Flavor-Packed Recipes for Vegetables and More from Garden or Market. Yes, I said, NEW. I do not consider this another cookbook purchase however. It’s preserving, it’s planning for the future, it’s economical. So, let’s drop the whole she-bought-another-cookbook train of thought, shall we?

Turnip Salvation

I decide to try the Quick Pickled Baby Turnips. I’ve got absolutely nothing to lose. If they are horrible, that’s fine, I throw them out, and my opinion of turnips remains confirmed. If they are good or even tolerable, then it’s a win! And guess what? They were pretty darn good. She says that they are ready after two days, but they were still kind of strong then. It’s been about a week, and they are mellowing out a bit, and quite tasty. You can use them wherever you would normally use a pickle, like as a snack with sandwiches or cut them up into salads.

Pickled Turnips

Quick Pickled Baby Turnips
Makes about 1 pint

1 pound small turnips (1-2 inches in diameter) trimmed and peeled
2 teaspoons pickling salt
1 1/2 cups water
1 tablespoon seeded and minced hot or sweet chili pepper
3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 cups rice vinegar or white wine vinegar

Score the turnip on the top and bottom. Place the turnips into a bowl. Dissolve the salt in the water and pour this brine over the turnips. Let them stand for 30 minutes to one hour.

Drain the turnips and return them to the bowl (I placed mine straight into the canning jar). Add the minced peppers. Combine the sugar and the vinegar and stir to dissolve the sugar. Pour this over the turnips. Cover the turnips and refrigerate. They are ready to eat after 2 days. If you keep them covered and refrigerated they will keep for several months.

Comments

You know, I think turnips get a bad rap just because their name sounds so unappealing. But they make for really good fries and are also really good mashed.

I couldn’t imagine them picked, but it certainly sounds interesting! I would categorize your cookbook purchase as an educational need – you are after all learning a new technique.

I like turnip GREENS. If I am ever lucky enough to get some usable fresh ones I put a little of the root in it. But, I am not a big turnip fan either. I would not plant them myself.

I don’t mind turnips, but my dearly beloved calls them “cow food”, because that’s what his father called them. And beets? They can’t ever cross our threshhold; the man would simply go ballistic. Everyone has his own “things” in the food world. Good work on the purchase of the preservationist’s guide!

i’ve sampled many a pickled product (including eggs…shudder!), but i haven’t tried turnips. great post!

I’ll eat turnips just about any way they come, but I adore turnip fries or mash.
    And greens cooked with bacon fat and then drizzled with a little red wine vinegar? It makes my mouth water, just thinking about it!

But pickled turnips are something I’ve never tried, since I’m not really a fan of anything pickled…
    Who knows, though? I might like them!

Okay – you may have to delete this comment – (and I love pickled anything these days) but what if it was Halloween week and you showed that photo of the little, round baby turnips floating in thier pickling juices?
    am I crazy, or is that bit of red pepper making me see eyeballs?

I’ve never tried pickled turnips, but I will do so now – I’m up for trying anything. And yes, I’m one of the weird ones who really does like turnips, roasted or mashed with sweet potato/butternut squash in particular, though I’m partial to raw hakueris. I’ll eat the greens, but am not wild about them…. ah well.

Thanks for visiting my blog! I’ve bookmarked yours and will be coming back often :-)

I came here to give the lonely unappreciated turnip its fair shake. The poor guy just got a bad rap but really he has a lot to offer especially roasted.

I like the pickling idea and when mine get out of the garden they are getting pickled :-)