Roasted Strawberry Salad with Baked Goat Cheese

Roasted Strawberries and Goat Cheese Salad

As the strawberries are saying their final adieu here in Tennessee, I wanted to try something different. I immediately remember Kevin’s from Closet Cooking, Roasted Strawberry and Goat Cheese Salad that he made last July, because I have mind like a steel trap. Ah! Do you believe that? My mind is actually more like a colander, saving things like Donny Osmond’s favorite color (or at least what was his favorite color when he was 14), and setting free, things like why I walked into this room in the first place. But through the miracle of Google, I was able to find it again.

Roasted Strawberries and Goat Cheese Sals

I remembered this salad because..one, it called for roasting the strawberries, which sounded intriguing, and two, it had baked goat cheese. Everything is better with baked goat cheese. My only concern was the vinegar with the strawberries. Vinegar and strawberries sounded creepy to me..kind of like the whole watermelon and feta thing that some people do. I really can’t bring myself to try that, but the vinegar and strawberries sounded like it might have possibilities. It was wonderful! The strawberries almost tasted like a sweet wine, so deep and flavorful. We ate this as a light dinner salad (the day after one of those 1/2 pound burgers that I’ve been known to grill), and it was perfect. I’m not going to repost his recipe, since I followed it exactly, just follow the link back to Kevin’s and check it out.

Comments

I have had this recipe of Kevin’s bookmarked for ages! Thanks for reminding me of it. The roasted strawberries sounded intriguing to me as well. At least your mind remembers the good stuff – the food!

Happy to hear you didn’t shy away from the vinegar. One of my favorite quick berry recipes calls for 1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar. I most often substitute Raspberry Vinegar.

I rarely eat watermelon now without feta – and onions and black olives and mint and parsley….. Thank you, Nigella!

I love roasting anything so I am sure I would enjoy the roasted strawberries. Beautiful and mouth watering photo (like usual).

i, too, remember the most random things while forgetting important, useful information. it’s frustrating but entertaining (sometimes).
    meanwhile, awesome salad! i’ve never roasted strawberries, so i can only imagine what a delicious flavor it would yield. just lovely.

I once sauteed strawberries for a dessert recipe, and was greeted with a chorus of “You can’t fry strawberries!!!” Silly family. Oh, and when I forget stuff, the kids shut up about it, lest I recount an embarrassing story about them. It’s a good way to not be told you’re getting old (not that either you or I am. I believe we just know so much stuff that it’s hard to keep track of it all).

6. Karen says

Sorry, although this looks delicious, I’m still laughing WAAAYYY to hard about the hairball exoskeleton! I’ve encountered a few, and it’s just plain ghostly and disturbing, like tumbleweeds, old birds’ nests and mummies. Just now catching up and boy have I missed a bunch! Excellent summery food!
    Angie’s sister

Mmm, this looks yummy! I remember this from Kevin’s blog. Has it really been a year since it was posted? I love strawberries and I love goat cheese, but I don’t think I’ve had them together. I also have a colander memory. I logged on here to look for a recipe, and here I am commenting. Now, what was it I intended to look up?

Pam, I would make this for just the looks, how beautiful this dish is.. Sorry about the 8th graders.. here in Hillsboro,Or Jr high starts with 7th grade and ends with 8th, so that is not that far from the small scared phase.. hopefully less own the school phase that way..

Heaven! And with goat cheese too!I’ve tried roasting strawberries with balsamic and serving it over ice cream- never thought about putting it in a salad.

That sounds terrific and looks good also. Thank you for being such an inspiration in my culinary world where boring food seems to appear. With your recipes and presentation of the food I am inspired. Thank you!!

Strawberries tossed with balsamic vinegar and a bit of sugar is a classic Italian dessert, and in our house we use a very sweet balsamic condiment and skip the sugar entirely, especially when the strawberries are at their peak. I love the idea of roasting them — takes the whole dish to another level.