White Bean Salad with Mint and Red Onion

White Bean Salad

I am sure we are all in agreement, beans are good for you. They give you fiber and antioxidants and all kinds of other good things, none of which I can remember right now. In the winter, beans are easy. There is nothing I like better than a big old bowl of beans, especially if they have spent some quality time with a ham hock or two. But summer, not so easy. Oh, I try, I bookmark bean salads every time I find one. But when I sit down to plan my menus, I’m looking at veggies and what’s in my freezer and I don’t think of beans.

White Bean Salad

But not this time, this time I remembered. I had dutifully bookmarked White Bean Salad with Mint and Red Onion from the April 2009 issue of Fine Cooking. I thought it would make a nice healthy accompaniment to a grilled burger. Make me feel good about my half pound of ground beef with a mountain of cheese on it. And it did. It was fresh tasting, a lovely light salad. It was even better the next day with a sandwich for lunch. The only change I made was that I substituted a roasted red pepper for the fresh red bell pepper.

White Bean Salad with Mint and Red Onion
From Fine Cooking
Serves 4

1/2 cup small-diced red onion
3 Tbs. sherry vinegar
1 15-oz. can white beans, drained and rinsed (like Great Northern or cannellini)
1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh spearmint or smooth-leaf spearmint leaves
1/2 cup small-diced red bell pepper
2 Tbs. nonpareil (small) capers
2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a small bowl, mix the onion and vinegar; let sit for 15 minutes. In a medium bowl, mix the onions and vinegar with the beans, mint, red pepper, capers, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.

If you grow mint, you know you are always looking for ways to use it’s over abundance! This will be my entry for this week’s Weekend Herb Blogging, hosted by Astrid at Paulchen’s Food Blog.

Comments

This looks and sounds wonderful and such a great summer salad. I have everything except the fresh mint and red pepper……easy enough to get. I’m gonna be trying this. Thanks for the recipe. Blessings, SusanD

BTW, I’m very careful on that motorcycle. It’s not the motorcycle that concerns me when I’m on the road. It’s the people driving and not paying attention, or worse texting while driving. Scary!

I am totally the same way – I have tons of bean salads bookmarked and none that I’ve actually made. Maybe I’ll make them as a sandwich filler instead of as a dinner side. Hmmm… This one looks great, I love mint in salads – it really adds an extra kick.

Looks good. I am thinking that I need to pick up a sherry vinegar, this is like the 5th recipe I have read that has called for it.

raw onion is not kind to me, but i love the rest of this dish. combining beans and mint is something i’ve not yet done. just so ya know. :)

Mmmm, mmm, good! I’m a big beanie person. I eat bean salads often for lunch; sometimes stirring in a bit of tuna, too. I’m not a fan of mint, though, so I’d substitute basil instead. Love the capers in this recipe. They really sneak in so much flavor to whatever dish they are added.

I love beans too – they are a staple every night in some way on my table. White beans especially. And with mint…. this idea is on the rotation for the week :-) I don’t have red onions though – I may substitute some green onions/scallions in there and some scapes…

I always have some cans of beans in the pantry, but my new favorite (and super easy) way to cook dry beans is in the slow cooker. 18 hours on low, and they are perfectly cooked and ready for beautiful salads like yours.

Absolutely loving the sound of this, and I’m wondering how I missed it in Fine Cooking. Will have to make this for sure!

P.S. Was delicious – substituted organic, neighbor-grown ripe tomatoes for the red bell pepper b/c I don’t like bell peppers anyway – delightful summer eating! Thanks, Pam!

I concur…beans are good for you and it’s nice that they taste great. I’m diggin’ the touch O’ capers.