Grilled Lamb Chops with Mint Tzatziki

Lamb Chops

If you are at the store and you happen to see the Cusine at Home Weeknight Grilling magazine, I suggest you get it. Everything I have made from it has fit my two weeknight requirements: good and easy. It’s weird, but the only place I ever found it was at Lowe’s, not at a bookstore. Of course, now I subscribe, so trying to find it is not an issue. Ha! Ha! Get it… “not an issue”!! Nevermind.

I hope everyone had a great holiday week and weekend! I know Canada and the US had holidays, I’m not sure about the rest of you peeps.

Through the power of blogger scheduler, I am in Atlanta as you read this. Yep, we took a day trip to Atlanta, on my list is: Ikea (of course), a futon shop (the main reason that we’re going), and some International Market (yay, lemongrass and keffir lime leaves, I hope!).

Lamb Chops

In the meantime, just look at these gorgeous lamb chops! I never, ever bother with that grill for 2 minutes and then rotate to get those cross marks, but this time I tried it. And, needless to say, I’m sold on it! Isn’t it pretty! The tzatziki was a little more liquidy than I like it, I prefer mine chunky, but other than that, everything was wonderful.

Grilled Lamb Chops with Mint Tzatziki
Serves 4

for the tzatziki
1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped (1 cup)
2 scallions, chopped
1/2 cup plain low-fat or non-fat yogurt (I used full fat)
1/4 cup fresh mint
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon chopped lemon zest
Kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste

for the lamb chops
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano (or 1 tsp. dried)
2 tsp. minced garlic
Kosher salt and fresh black pepper to taste.

Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.

Puree all the ingredients for tzatziki in a food processor or blender, and set aside.

Whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, oregano, garlic, and salt and pepper in a small bowl. Brush the chops with this mixture and marinate them at room temperature for 10 minutes.

Grill the chops, covered, over direct heat for 2 minutes. Rotate them a quarter of a turn and grill for 2 more minutes. Flip the chops over and grill for 2 more minutes for medium. Remove from grill, tent with foil and let rest for about 5-10 minutes.

Comments

My father was the king of grilled lamb chops. He never did anything particularly special to them — just salt and pepper, I think — but somehow they always tasted amazing. Of course he did smoke while tending the grill, so maybe it was the cigarette ash that made the lamb taste so good…..

I prefer chunky tzatziki as well, but I’m sure this was good too. The chops look really good. I hope you got your kaffir lime leaves! I want to hit up a thai market here to find some.

I see you’re already into the haul of lamb cuts you just received. Lamb chops are the prize, aren’t they?

These are seared perfectly and I too would have a mint Tzatziki alongside.

Just thought I’d mention… I put my yogurt into cheesecloth and then lay the cheese clothed yogurt into a strainer that is over a bowl and let the yogurt drain overnight. Then the yogurt is more like greek yogurt. Thick and rich and totally yummy! The end result is more like what we had in Greece.

Gosh you do a good job with the photography! I still stink at it… ;-}

Mmmmm! This makes me want to try some lamb chops! They’re not my favorite, but if they turn out like this, I would be totally sold on the idea!

Oh, Pam, I hope you’re having a wonderful time in Atlanta. I’ve never had lamb chops, but you’re making me drool, here…

7. Pam says

Lydia – I think everything in my childhood was served up with a side of cigarette ash.

Joanne – I did find my lime leaves and curry leaves!

Peter – thanks! Yep, hitting the lamb.

Joan – yes! I should have strained my yogurt!

Noble – thank you!

Tater – these were wonderful. I wasn’t sure if I like lamb chops or not, but I definitely do!

Natashya – thank you!

Marjie – I had a great time in Atlanta. I’m exhausted now.

Sweet – thank you!

MM – yeah, it’s chunky for me from now on.

Chef -thank you for stopping by!

Sanghi – it was really juicy!

Deb – I could live in IKEA.

I don’t remember the last time I made/used lamb in anything… i think this is the prefect recipe to get my foot back in that door.

i can’t properly pronounce tzatziki, but i can eat it with the best of ‘em. although lamb isn’t a favorite, i love the look of your chops, and that tzatziki sounds amazing!