Ina’s Chicken Salad Sandwiches

Chicken Salad

Okay, you all know that I spatchcock a chicken every week. You all know that because I love reminding you every chance I get. And like I said before, cooked chicken in fridge = gold. Well, I need to change that. What is better than gold? Platinum? I don’t know, but I loved this recipe so much, that this week, I’m spatchcocking two chickens. Really, that’s a no-brainer, isn’t it, double the chicken, with practically no extra effort. Because I think I may need to take this salad to work every day this week. I think I have to. It’s the law, right up there with azaleas and crepe myrtles.

Chicken Salad Sandwiches
From
Barefoot Contessa at Home: Everyday Recipes You’ll Make Over and Over Again
Serves 4 to 5

4 split (2 whole) chicken breasts, bone in, skin on (or cooked chicken in fridge)
good olive oil, salt and pepper
3/4 cup good mayo
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh tarragon leaves
1 cup small-diced celery (2 stalks)

Preheat the oven to 350.

Place the chicken skin side up on a sheet pan and rub them with olive oil. Sprinkle generously with the salt and pepper. Roast for 30 to 40 minutes, until the chicken is cooked and then set aside to cool.

When the chicken is cool, remove and discard the skin and bones and cut the chicken into a 3/4 inch dice. Combine the chicken, mayo, tarragon, celery, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper in a bowl. Mix well.

Serve on bread (or pitas) with more mayo spread on the bread and lettuce.

Comments

I’ve actually never had chicken salad, to be honest. But if eating they entail something as exciting-sounding as spatchcocking then I’m on it!

I believe you just like saying spatchcock!
    Life became so much easier for me when I learned to roast chicken from Ina. I have made her chicken salad before and it’s great, not as pretty as yours but still very tasty.

love ina, love chicken salad, love tarragon, love your pics…

geesh, do i sound like a kid from the 60s?

i could eat chicken salad everyday~ i have a tarragon chicken salad planned for dinner this week, you are spurring me on~

I casually announced at dinner last night that I am going to buy a good pair of kitchen shears so I can spatchcock chickens. Say that in front of teens and early twenty-somes. They will choke. Hubby snorted his iced tea up his nose, too. You gave me a great deal of fun last night, and I thank you.

azaleas and crepe myrtles. spatchcocking. you do keep me guessing, pam. :)
    i can certainly imagine why this is a winning chicken salad—it sounds delightful!

I absolutely adore Ina! It is quite often, a choice in my house do something from Ina or something from Giada. And then, of course, there are those days when I just wing it! And I’m actually getting kinda good at the “wingin’ it” part!

I’ve made this chicken salad, too — isn’t it the best? The tarragon in my garden this year is definitely failing to thrive, so I haven’t been able to make it once this summer. But I live in hope for a late harvest!