Jalapeno Mint Jelly

Jalapeno Mint Jelly

Isn’t there something so wonderful about a pantry lined with jars of food that you canned yourself? I know it’s time consuming, but it is so rewarding to hear that lovely ping sound as each jar seals. Plus I get to use my cute enameled pot that I use for canning.

Cute Pot

Since my mint is flourishing, and really, is there any time mint is not flourishing, I decided to make some jalapeno mint jelly. This stuff is wonderful brushed on chicken or lamb, and spooned on some crackers with some cheese, it’s an instant appetizer.

This recipe came from The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving: Over 300 Recipes to Use Year-Round my favorite canning book because it has recipes that are the size I can manage. No 20 pounds of anything for me, please. Now, I am only posting the recipe here, to get complete safety and canning instructions, there are plenty of websites, or better yet, get this book and then you have canning instructions and over 300 recipes!!

Jalapeno Mint Jelly
Makes 4 cups

1 3/4 cup finely chopped fresh mint, divided
1 1/2 cups water
3 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons strained fresh lemon juice
2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
1 pouch liquid fruit pectin

Bring 1 1/2 cups mint and water to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 30 minutes to steep. Strain through a lined sieve pressing with the back of a spoon to extract as much liquid as possible; discard mint.

Combine mint liquid, sugar, vinegar, lemon juice and peppers in a large stainless steel or enamel saucepan. Bring to a full boil over high heat and boil hard fro 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in pectin and remaining mint.

Ladle into sterilized jars and process in a boiling water canner for 5 minutes. (There’s more to processing than this, so please read complete canning instructions!)

Comments

I have been seriously considering canning preserves and such to have around for (a) eating and (b) giving away as Christmas gifts. I will have to check out this book!

Mint jalapeno jelly sounds intriguing. Both spicy and fresh at the same time.

I love jalapeno jelly, but I’ve never tried it with mint. Sounds like a great idea. My mint has flourished into a big mess on the side of the house. It would so much prettier lining my pantry shelves.

That is such a great book, isn’t it? Also great because I don’t know about you, but I don’t eat two quarts of chutney and 4 quarts of jam every season. Learning what you think you like and what you actually reach for to eat seems to be part of this whole canning adventure..

Thank you ma’am! Now I know what to do with my mint!! And I do have jalapenos too, they grow great here in the summer. My only guaranteed crop no matter what the weather.
    I have this book, it is awesome.

I love this recipe – not enough savory jellies out there as far as I’m concened. I need to make some more – I just made blackberry preserves, and now I’ve got canning fever.

I love Jalapeno Jelly but never thought of making it myself. Great idea! I am going to have to try this. Adding mint adds a twist!

Thank you for visiting my blog!

pepper jelly is AWESOME. the addition of mint is a new one to me, but i’m more than willing to try. i’ll bet your shelves are quite a sight to behold–you should be proud!

You know… I think if I had the right kitchen equipment and storage space this is something I would quite happily spend my Sunday morning doing.

Until then though I’ll just continue to envy your lovely little pots.

I have been looking at this recipe for the past year. I do love this cookbook. And I’m most definitely going to do this.
    I just did the ginger red pepper pickles..can’t remember the name off the top of my head, but it’s sliced fresh ginger and red yellow and green peppers with rice vinegar and a jalapeno. They are truly divine!!