Sage-Crusted Trout

Sage Crusted Trout

Move over Sauteed Trout with Bacon, another trout recipe is sharing your spotlight. The key word there is sharing. Both of these recipes are good…hello…bacon..of course it’s good. But if you really can’t be bothered with the bacon and the frying of the trout, then, I’ve got something even easier for you.

Sage Crusted Trout

Seriously, Sage-Crusted Trout from Martha, easy peasy, and completely delicious. Trout is one of my favorite fish and this recipe just lets the trout flavor shine through.

Sage-Crusted Trout
Serves 4

4 tablespoons butter, melted, plus more at room temperature for baking sheet
8 small trout fillets, with skin (about 1 1/4 pounds)
1/4 teaspoon dried sage
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
Lemon wedges, for serving

Heat the broiler. Generously butter a baking sheet. Arrange the trout fillets, skin side down, on the prepared baking sheet.

In a small bowl, combine melted butter, sage, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Using a pastry brush, coat each fillet with seasoned butter, and then sprinkle breadcrumbs on top.

Broil fillets as close to the heat as possible, turning the baking sheet as needed for even cooking, until the fish is golden brown on top, 6 to 8 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges on the side.

Comments

I have never had trout but it is on my list of fish to try since I have only heard good things about it. It looks very delicious and so savory.

Oh my gosh, I would so love to try this! I have never been a fan of fish, but I recently attemded a cookign class where we had trout and I was shocked at how much I liked it. Too bad my broiler doesn’t work…maybe I’ll have to try this by pan frying…

Oh yes. You got me here.

Trout is one of my favorite fish, as well. I love to marinate the whole fish in black bean garlic sauce and throw them on the grill.

And I grow sage in my garden.

I also love the other recipe with the bacon, which is one of the reasons I couldn’t live a meat-free life anymore.

Will be making this, for sure.

Isn’t sage fabulous? I even bite fresh leaves!We love fish and we are eating it more and more..thanks for the recipe.
    I always picture you in cute aprons now:)

it certainly says a lot that you rate this up there with a dish involving the power of pig. incidentally, i wonder what sage tastes like.

Isn’t that heavenly? We had yellowtail last night done is a similar manner- it melted in your mouth; we used a little fresh dill. And here I had some fresh sage in the fridge I could have tried!

Mmmm, they look so good sitting there on that pan just waiting for me to eat them. Wait. That’s not my kitchen … sob!!! I should send you my sage … it’s taken on a life of its own in my garden! :-)