Tyler Florence – Carpaccio of Raw Zucchini

Zucchini

Did anyone drop off some zucchini for you on National Sneak Some Zucchini on Your Neighbor’s Porch Day? Well, if they did, I’ve got just the thing for you! I’ve always thought that I was not a big zucchini fan. It turns out that I’m just not a big cooked zucchini fan. Raw, it’s a whole different ball game.

Zucchini

I found this recipe for Carpaccio of Raw Zucchini at the Food Network. It was wonderful, the raw zucchini is very mild, almost nutty in flavor. When I was trying to find the link this morning, I stumbled upon a different version, Zucchini Carpaccio which instead of ricotta calls for Parmesan cheese. I think I’ll try that one next time, because the Parmesan would add a little more zing to the dish since the zucchini and the ricotta are both somewhat bland, mild flavors.

Carpaccio of Raw Zucchini
Serves 4

2 zucchini (about 1 1/2 pounds total), sliced into paper-thin rounds
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 young leek, white and light green parts only, sliced paper-thin into rings and thoroughly cleaned
1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs, such as chervil, dill, chives, and chive blossoms
1 cup ricotta cheese
Fresh mint leaves, for garnish, optional

Shingle the zucchini slices in a single overlapping layer on a platter. Dust with salt and pepper, then drizzle with a 3-count of olive oil and the lemon juice. Put that into the refrigerator for about 10 minutes to give the flavors a chance to get into the zucchini. Now scatter the leeks over. Sprinkle with the herbs. Garnish garnish with the ricotta cheese and mint leaves, if using; serve.

This will be my entry for this week’s Tyler Florence Fridays!

Also, as someone who is spellingly-challenged, I have to say that this was an extremely difficult post. You try spelling carpaccio and zucchini a million times!

Comments

I think I’m the opposite of you – I like cooked zucchini plenty but don’t love it raw. So I’ve always been wary of this recipe. You definitely make it look appealing though. I think next time you should go for ricotta AND parmesan. Forget this either/or business.

Oh, that looks good and refreshing. I make a quiche with parmesan cheese and zucchini.
    P.S. I would have gotten the spelling wrong on both!! ( had to double check on the quiche)

I am so going to make this, but only if you’re going to allow me to use feta instead of ricotta, okay? I’ve been hearing about this for a few years, not sure why I haven’t done it!

*sob* No one left me zucchini! I must grow my own! I slice zucchini and put it in salad masquerading as cucumbers. Sometimes one of my kids will tell me that some of these cukes are weird, but usually they don’t even notice.

Nobody left me any zucchini, either! I feel robbed.

Always looking for ways to put my garden herbs to good use. And I love zucchini, raw or cooked.

Beautiful photos.

i didn’t get any zukes. :( however, i’m ready, willing, and able to buy some just to make this–what a unique dish!

Aha, a great way to use up some of the homemade ricotta I made from the 15 gallons of milk I felt compelled to buy from Aldi’s when it was a dollar.

I’ll admit upfront I don’t eat zucchini–hot,cold, fresh, frozen…nohow, nowhere. I do remember, though, when Deb of Kahakai Kitchen posted this recipe, I thought it was gorgeous. So, too, is yours. I may have to make a small portion the next time I make an antipasto because it is so attractive. And others DO eat the dreaded Z.

Mmmm, I love zucchini any way I can get it! This version as well as the one with parma cheese sounds lovely! My zucchini is just starting to roll in!

Pam,
    Don’t know the blogging protocol here- do I respond to your comment on my blog or yours :)?
    No, the ricotta is super easy! I couldn’t believe it and kicked myself for buying it the grocery store all these years.
    Here’s the recipe:
    1 gallon whole milk
    2 tsp salt (or more if you have a problem with excessive salt loving like I do)
    Bring to a gentle boil, stirring all the while so milk doesn’t scald.
    Add 1/3 cup lemon juice and mix gently. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for five minutes.
    Scoop curds out gently and drain through thin cloth (I use four layers of cheesecloth).
    The longer you let it drain the drier it gets, so let it drain to the consistency you like it.

By the way, love your blog. I don’t know how I found it except that it no doubt involved time I should have spent cleaning.

It looks beautiful!! I love zucchini, but have never had it raw. Glad to hear it has won you over in the “raw state”. I’m with Joanne…..go for ricotta and parmesan next time!!