The Flavor Bible

The Flavor Bible

Okay, do you remember back when I posted my Orzo Cucumber Salad with Mint and Oregano, which was inspired from The Flavor Bible: The Essential Guide to Culinary Creativity, Based on the Wisdom of America’s Most Imaginative Chefs? Well, guess what? After I posted that, I got an email from the authors, Karen Page & Andrew Dornenburg, thanking me for mentioning their book and being inspired by it! Wow! As a food blogger, this was almost like the President calling me to congratulate me for something. Really. Call me silly, but cookbook authors are MY royalty.

After we corresponded with a few emails. Yes, I corresponded with a cookbook author!! They mentioned that on September 16th, they would be celebrating the book’s one year anniversary of being in Amazon.com’s Top 100 Cooking, Food and Wine Bestseller List and they were inviting web sites to post about the book to help celebrate! I’m always up for a celebration, especially when it involves a cookbook that has made it to the top of my rotation and stayed there! They will be posting some of the links at their website Becoming a Chef.

Cherries

As I mentioned on my Orzo salad post, I love this book. It doesn’t contain recipes, but gives you ideas of what to pair with the ingredient that you are wanting to cook with. Under each food, it gives you a column listing of all the possible ingredients that play nicely with that food. The ones in bold are best friends. But my favorite part is after the column listing, they have what they call “flavor affinities” and there it list combinations of ingredients that go with your chosen item. For fun, I’m sharing some of the cherry affinities and the duck affinities. Isn’t it fabulous? I plan on trying lots of them, but for sure, the cherries + sweet vermouth + vanilla, and the duck + bacon + ginger + spinach.

Duck

I seriously cannot recommend this book enough. It will guide your cooking in ways that you could not imagine. If it can help me be creative, it can work it’s magic with anyone!

Comments

Congrats on the recognition! And I hope the POM people contact you soon too! Your photos are always of the highest quality.
    Hope everything came out okay yesterday.

Sounds like a great book. I always wanted to know stuff like that, what flavors blend the best, what doesn’t go well together and stuff like that.
    I would also consider it a great honor to get a phone call like that.

3. leilani says

OK, I commented yesterday about not being swayed by blog reviews but I wasn’t being completely honest. I’m a total patsy for book reviews. Almost all of my reading the last year or so has been the result of reading book reviews on various blogs.

But, damn! I live in a small condo — there is no more room for another cookbook. Well. . . maybe one more.

BTW — did I hear about “Simply Organic” from you? If not you, then I highly recommend it. You would love it, I’m certain.

Ooo… this looks like an informative read. It reminds me of “Spice” by Ana Sortun, only her cookbook combines a spice education with recipes. The only downsides are that many recipes A. Require ordering special spices the first time, and B. Take much time to prepare.

I remember I nearly peed my pants when one of my photos was finaly accepted by Tastspotting…but a cookbook author? That trumps it by far.

Truly awesome, Pam. Kudos to you!!

This sounds like a seriously good book. Guess my wish list at Amazon just got longer.

I would have “flipped out” if I had heard from them. My husband called Mark Bittman at home once about an error in his “How to cook everything” book and he phoned us again later to thank us for bringing it to his attention. You never know.
    Sam

Congrats! That’s so exciting. I’ve seen the book a few times and have always been tempted to pick it up…well, I’m definately getting it now!

337greenwich.blogspot.com

I’m right there with you on this book being a really great book. I’m not one to really follow recipes when creating food, I treat it more like a jackson Pollock piece, and just create as I go. Everyone should read this book. Nice work!

I can appreciate your excitment. I would be elated if that happened to me. This is one of those books that you can read over and over and over and always get something different out of it. A genius book that is on my to-buy list! Good thing xmas is coming up : )

10. Stargirl says

This sounds like a good cookbook! So I see you haven’t stopped your bad habit, your like a crack-addict, but possibly worse.

This has been on my to-buy list for a while but I have refrained because of the price. Perhaps it deserves to get pushed up on the list!

Oh. My. Gosh! Okay, first of all the book sounds totally awesome. Moving on though … an author contacted you!!! So cool! I bet that totally made your day! Congrats!

Ah Pam, how cool! Love these photos as well! When I read your previous post mentioning The Flavor Bible I thought that was a book I needed (coming from a non-foodie background and really not having any idea of the whys and hows of cooking…unless I’m following a recipe) but now I’m 100% sure I’ll be getting this baby next pay day! :)

Wow – it’s nice that they’re keeping in touch with their audience. I hadn’t heard of the book, but it’s a great idea because I’m always nervous about trying new pairings.

Trackbacks