Lemon Chicken Pasta

Lemon Chicken Pasta

There is a possibility that I have already posted this recipe here. But you know what, I bet you don’t remember. And really, after the week I had at work last week, I simply do not have it in me to go check. So, if by some chance you really do remember, please grant me this indulgence, it’s a new pic anyway. And really this recipe is perfect because no matter how tired or stressed you are, this is super easy to put together, provided you have some cooked chicken.

I, of course, had some leftover spatchcocked chicken (I’m not that tired, that I couldn’t remember a spatchcocked chicken mention). You can cook your own, or better yet, just grab a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. This goes together in a snap, it’s even better the next day, what more could you ask for? It comes from Off The Shelf: Cooking From the Pantryby Donna Hay.

Lemon Chicken Pasta
Serves 4

14 oz spaghetti or linguini
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons capers
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 small red chilies, seeded and chopped
3 cooked chicken breasts, shredded
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
salt and pepper
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

Cook pasta per directions and drain.

While pasta is cooking, heat a large deep frying pan over high heat. Add oil, capers, garlic and the chillies and cook for about 1 minute. Add the chicken and the lemon zest, and cook, stirring, for about 4 minutes, or until the chicken is heated through. Add the pasta to the pan, along with the basil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper, toss to combine. Serve topped with parmesan.

This easy peasy pasta will be my entry for this week’s Presto Pasta Nights, hosted by it’s esteemed leader, Ruth at Once Upon a Feast.

Comments

I am never without leftover rotisserie chicken. It’s practically a lifesaver in my house.

I’m having one of those weeks, too. Everyone is sick. But why is it that when 3 1/2 YO gets a cold, I end up bed-ridden and fetal?

I think after this Lemon Chicken pasta, I might be making some chicken soup.

This looks delicious! Love the lemon,basil and red pepper sauce. I do take the rotisserie chicken shortcut often but I’m going to thaw some chicken breast right now for this!

y’know, you missed the spatchcock reference last week. You’ll need to do it twice this week to make up for the omission. Or, just threaten your students with mayhem, or, worse yet, quiet time, so you can think! Ta da! Better week!

Whenever I use fruit with meat, it is usually in the marinade- seeing more of this lemon chicken match up.. I do use lemon pepper on many fish dishes…

Mmmm … the whole thing sounds good, but I have to say the clincher for me was the capers and chilies. I’ve not tried the spatchcocked method yet. I must get my act together so I can have some lemon chix pasta!

Made it for dinner, sans chicken (don’t eat it) and capers (didn’t have them), with a serrano pepper substituted for red chilies — very delicious! Thanks again!

I think a recipe as classic as this one stands to be repeated! Sometimes you just want to eat something simple, that you know will make your tongue happy. I’m sorry that work has been stressful. Here’s to a better week!

8. Anonymous says

You have posted this before. I only know because I’ve made it a dozen times since then!! I LOVE THIS! It’s so simple and delicious.
    Thanks for sharing. :)

I made this last night and it was great! A big success. Of course I modified it slightly – I used baby spinach leaves and parsley instead of basil and left out the capers as I had none – but apart from that exactly the same. :)