Thai Chicken and Noodle Salad

Noodle Bowl

Loves: Thai food, big bowls of noodles, Donna Hay, big bowls to put noodles in. Hate: Lima beans, liver, my thighs.

Guess what, my peeps?? I have been searching and searching and searching for some big bowls to use for Asian noodles, and I found some! Not only did I find some, but I found some that I love. I will probably make big bowls of noodles every week, just so that I can use these bowls. Raise your hand if you love Homegoods. It’s like Marshall’s without all the distracting clothing and shoes! I try not to go there too often because..well..it’s like sending a crack addict into a crack store (if we actually had crack stores), but it did give me these bowls. These bowls which satisfied my latest fix, and I shouldn’t need to hit Homegoods again for another month or so.

Noodle Bowl Love

Since I had some leftover spatchcocked chicken (c’mon you were waiting for it, weren’t you?), I needed a noodle dish with chicken. I pulled out all my Donna Hay magazines and started looking through them, and found this recipe in issue #13, summer 2004.

Thai Chicken and Noodle Salad

It was wonderful, everything that I wanted it to be. Light and summery, yet full of flavor! (I modified it to use cooked chicken and soba noodles)

Thai Chicken and Noodle Salad
Serves 4

3 cups shredded, cooked chicken
1 package soba noodles (mine was 10 oz)
1/2 cup lime juice
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
8 oz cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 cucumber, diced
1 long red chilli, seeded and thinly sliced
1/2 cup cilantro leaves
1/3 cup roasted cashews, roughly chopped

Cook noodles per package directions, drain and rinse.

Whisk together the lime juice, fish sauce, peanut oil and sugar, until sugar is dissolved.

To serve, toss the noodles with the chicken, tomatoes, red onion, cucumber, chilli, cilantro and dressing. Sprinkle with the cashews.

This recipe featuring my herb of choice, cilantro, will be my entry for this week’s Weekend Herb Blogging, hosted by Haalo at Cook (almost) Anything At Least Once.

Comments

You funny lady. Got my chuckle on this morning, thanks!

Those bowls are great! I’m not familiar with Homegoods, but I will be perusing their online shop now. Could be dangerous.

I wondered what had happened to spatchcocking this week! Great new bowls.

And I think there are very few people who love lima beans, even fewer who love liver, and fewest of all who love their thighs.

If your bowls um, turn up like missing or anything, um, don’t come to Seymour looking for them – lol!

I really like the bolws and they are perfect for that tasty noodle salad.

Loves: These bowls and the chicken and noodle salad within. Will eat your portion of limas and liver. The only thighs I like are the chicken variety. Perhaps turkey, too. Spatchcooked chicken recipes make the list, too.

Dislikes: That I have never been to a Homegoods store.

I have been in the Pottery Barn once and was in awe at all the dishes, bowls, on and on. We don’t have the Homegoods store. :(
    And I completely understand about trying to control oneself in these type of stores.

LOVE the bowls, pam, and i’m glad we got to see how the spatchcocked critter was used this week. meanwhile, what do you have against limas?

I love your recipes and even tried a few (all delish, by the way) but what I really LOVE are the cat pix. We need more cat pix.

Oh Pam! I love these bowls! and the noodles look great.. I really need to try to spatchcocked chicken-I keep looking for that perfect chicken.. and you seem to have found it. I am also horribly inept at asian cooking.. ever time I try, I fail… Italian- you bet, southern comfort food…of course, Basque traditional fair.. obscure, but my culture..so yep. Asian.. I am sorely lacking…

I am making this sometime in the next week! And those bowls are perfect. Ah, if I only had the room. But I still have dishware in storage in Minneapolis. So, no addicting bowl shopping for me. My soup bowls will work, just not as nicely as yours!

I was going to say I’ve never heard of a Homegoods store, but turns out we have one just 3 miles from us and my wife informs me that I went in it with her. I have a horrible memory.

The thai salad sounds awesome and looks great (so do the bowls, of course!).

11. Anonymous says

I found this recipe off tastespotting and I THANK YOU! It was delicious!! It sure will be a repeater around here. =)
    -rebelyell